[3830] NA Sprint SSB W6YX(N6DE) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB W6YX(N6DE) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:23:33 -0700
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - September

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6DE
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

SO1R, Elecraft K3, about 500W out of Heathkit SB-200 amplifier

The purpose of my participation in this contest was to test my gear before
going on a CQP county expedition in two weeks.  It was a valuable test.  My
Yamaha generator powered my K3 and SB-200 for the whole contest.

I had a few problems.  Neither my footswitch, nor VOX, worked.  I ran out of
time to debug it, so instead of bailing on NCCC Team 1, I just manually pushed
the XMIT button whenever I wanted to transmit.  One hand stayed on the radio,
and I typed with the other hand.  SO1R1H.

I started a few minutes late, and spent a lot of time between band changes to
tune the SB-200.  It has been years since I have used that amp.  The arcing
problem was recently fixed, but I didn't have a chance to test it before
Sprint.  Fortunately, it seemed to work well on 20m-80m.  In actuality, I
probably spent 3:45 on the air instead of 4 hours.

The other problem I had was that I forgot to bring the battery charger for my
laptop.  I hooked up my K3 rig control to one of the W6YX station computers
instead.  As a result, the ergonomics between the radio, amp, computer screen,
keyboard, and antenna switches were way out of whack, but just went with it.

QRN must have been terrible on 80m for stations east of Colorado.  Called and
called many stations who were loud here.  Most of them couldn't hear me.
VE4EAR, KA9FOX, N5DO, and NR5M were the exceptions who did hear me.

After the Sprint, I switched to my laptop to test my K1EL Winkey kit in the
Salmon Run on 80m CW.

All in all, it was a productive day of testing.  Now I know what I need to work
on tomorrow.

See you in the California QSO Party on October 2-3!
http://www.cqp.org

73...
-Dean - N6DE