[3830] SARTG VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SARTG VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:22:55 -0700
                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 15.5

   80:   21   210    14
   40:   81   885    35
   20:  228  2710    48
   15:    8    90     5
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  338  3895   112  Total Score = 436,240

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

* FT-2000
* N1MM Logger and MMTTY
* 3-el SteppIR @27'
* 40M SteppIR dipole @27'
* 40M twin half-square array (EU/ZLish)
* 80M dual 1/4-wave elevated verticals (E, W, or broadside N-S)

2010: SFI=77 | A=2 | K=0
2009: SFI=68 | A=3 | K=1
2008: SFI=66 | A=5 | K=2

Whew. 15.5 gruelling hours invested in setting a personal best with low power.
Actually had my best-ever low-power total score by the end of the first
session, then pressed on to edge past previous high-power scores, too.

Europe was in good shape over the pole at the start of session two and the end
of session three. Traded the last 6.5 hours of the second session for NAQP SSB,
sacrificing prime hours of the 20M European opening. Fortunately, the
all-nighter third session includes dawn, and a fairly strong 20M EU opening
before the end provided lots of mults from over the pole.

The segments of this contest offer a complete tour of the bands over a full
day's cycle without injuring anyone with sleep deprivation (though running
SARTG and NAQP makes for a groggy operator at 4 a.m.). I almost packed it in
several times in the final five hours, but each time "one more pass up the
band" perked me right up again. There was no real down-time, as when 80M was
played out, 40M was still providing Asia and domestic contacts. The slowest
time was just before dawn when 40M had been worked out and 20M wasn't yet open
to anywhere. There was an hour or so in which I was all dressed up with no
place to go.

Nice to see 20M and 40M bands in good shape. Was excited to work A65 and VU2
during the 20M polar path morning openings.

Special thanks to Rich VA1CHP for the 20M and 80M mults, and to Irek VA7RY (who
lives about 20 kms from me) for the VE7 mult in the final few minutes -- my
final mult of the contest and a complete surprise on 20M.

15M was dead throughout, except for the final half hour when a handful of SA
mults appeared. Only a few W4s were worked Stateside, so lots of mults left
untouched on that band.

The 80M vertical array -- two 1/4-wave wire verticals with elevated radials --
worked really well, providing 14 mults and much better performance than any
previous SARTG RTTY. Still, I couldn't find W9 and W0 mults on 80M from VE7. Go
figure.

The new 40M twin half-square array wasn't quite right, but I made a few Qs with
it including FO8RZ and one or two Europeans. Needs tweaking to compensate for
nearby objects (see 80M array, above :)

The SteppIR 40M dipole worked like a champ as the driver for a "hybrid" yagi.
Figured I'd try a rotatable dipole with a stationary wire reflector/director
element, and the contraption helped gather more mults than I've ever had,
including when I ran high power. Despite a pitifully low average height of 35',
the hybrid worked better than the new half-square array and boosted last year's
37 Qs/16 mults to 81 Qs/35 mults. That's a nice improvement. Exhibits some F/B
and modest forward gain where expected, which is more than I had before trying
it out -- pretty good for a $6 relay and 70' scrap of wire in the air between
trees at 40' or so.

40M performance...

        Qs   Pts   Cty  Sec Pwr
      -------------------------
2010:   81   885    16   19 Low  (SteppIR dipole w/ wire passive element)
2009:   33   335     5   11 Low  (SteppIR dipole @40')
2008:  129  1445    10   23 High (twin reversible half-squares, E or W)
2007:   89   930    10   16 High (half-squares E-W, N-S)
2006:   37   355     4   12 Low  (2-el wire yagi East @70')

Thanks to everyone for the contacts. Hope to catch you all in SCC RTTY next.

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st

Overall performance...

Year  Qs   Mult  Score   Class