[3830] WPX SSB K3FIV SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K3FIV SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:19:36 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: Pt. Arena, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    2

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

It was really nice to have 10 and 15 open!  With just 100 watts and a dipole,
and a location by the ocean in Northern California, 20 wasn't a very nice place
to visit, but there were lots of stations on 10 and 15 and even DX openings for
hours and hours, well after local dark.  40 was OK except of course the
broadcast stations.  80 was very noisy.  With all the vanity and special calls,
it seemed like almost every station was a new multiplier.  Actually about half
of my contacts were new multipliers.  I even managed a few QSOs on 160, where
my antenna isn't supposed to work at all but the RF went somewhere...

With a mountain range to my east, and a wall of RF coming from the midwest and
east, it wasn't easy to even hear the Europeans, especially on 20.   Virtually
every slot on 20 had a "local" NA CQer, so not much from Europe could get
through. Managed to work a few though on Sunday.

I suspect there will be a lot of miscopied numbers and callsigns.  While
"waiting my turn" I heard quite a few QSOs where I could hear both ends well,
and so I could tell that they often didn't get the numbers or calls right.

The bands were clearly open for many hours to SA and the Pacific from my
location, but I was disappointed at how few "everyday" stations there were.
The big gun multi/multis were coming through loud and clear, and they could
even hear my peanut whistle signal - but where were all of the normal everyday
stations?  Perhaps they were working into Asia and Europe rather than looking
to NA.

All in all, a fun contest.  Good to see the bands coming back, especially 10
which can be truly amazing at times when the sunspots are doing their thing.

73,
/Jack DE K3FIV