[3830] RTTY Roundup VE4EAR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VE4EAR Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:48:08 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

   10:    0
------------
Total:  832  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 44  Total Score = 82,368

Got a late start due to family get togethers out of town. By 0200z, 20m was dead
and 40m was very long. Forced to work 80m through a local S9 noice floor. Turned
out to be my best 80m outing but it was difficult.

The 20m opening to EU Sunday morning was very weak and short lived. I found
more success in getting country mults by S&P. Whenever I tried to run, an east
coast wall would devwlop and I could not hear the EU stations easily.

No 15m path to EU this contest. 15m activity was generally low from this part
of the world.

Went to 40m much earlier than normal, about 75 minutes before sunset. Found
several EU stations strong and calling. No pileups, no waiting. All the NA
crowds were still on 20m. Picked up several country multipliers then found a
frequency and did a sprint to the finish.

This is my second RTTY contest using MMTTY and the rig configured for FSK. In
the past I have used the SCS-PTCllUSB modem and AFSK. Perhaps it is me, but I
found listening to the 250Hz bandwidth at 2kHZ much more fatiguing than
listening to the 250 Hz bandwidth centered at 1.5 kHz. Still think the SCS is
better at weak signal decoding but the MMTTY integration and ability to have
AFC tuning are nice features.

Happy New Year to all!

Ed  VE4EAR

IC7700