[3830] ARRL 160 K3TN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3TN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:06:03 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

Total:  QSOs = 509  Sections = 85  Countries = 15  Total Score = 91,630

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

TS-850 to 50' T, 400w ALS-600

I've never spent much time on 160 - sure can pack a lot of stations into 70khz
or so. This contest is sort of like single band Sweepstakes, with the best
activity during the slowest SS hours. Both nights, instead of rolling over and
going back to sleep when I woke up at 0200 local, I went downstairs and put in
an hour or so each night. FB conditions at that hour.

The antenna is a shorted G5RV, been rolling out radials as time permits, but
only up to 5 so far. Still heard a lot better than earlier this year when had
zero radials, and even had a few EU come back to me when I was running - that's
a first for me. Maybe the 3-4 inches of snow that fell on Saturday helped.

Even though I missed ND and HI for single weekend WAS, and no sweep because I
missed a bunch of the CA sections (did not hear many 6s at all) along with NWT,
I'm still finding contesting without packet is more fun.

When you work ON4UN on 160 and he asks for a repeat, you think "man, if ON4UN
can't hear me I must be puny, puny weak."