[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 17:08:19 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~28

  160:   42    11       26
   80:  124    18       51
   40:  268    28       85
   20:  945    34      112
   15:  384    29       93
   10:   33     8       16
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A part time effort, should have operated less and would have felt better later.
As it was, Friday I was pretty well exhausted and came home to a broken lower
tie off to the 40M quad loop. It took 30 minutes to fix, always fun in the
dark! Saturday AM, I noticed that both of the northerly radials for my 80 meter
vertical were on the ground, another half hour spent at 2130Z to partially fix.

Other lowlights, many stations including garden variety EU and SA were not
signing their calls. Duh, why should any competitior waste their time waitng? I
will dupe you if you don't sign it at least every other QSO; that sort of ruins
the time saving strategy.
160 and 80 were the pits comapred to last year and 40 was just too full.

Highlights: Some very nice runs on 20 into EU. 164 hour at 13Z Saturday,
Sunday 12Z = 147, 13Z = 132, 16Z = 107; the band closed rapidly to EU after
1730Z. I made 610 QSO's between 1156 and 1730Z.
2: Having 7Z1PS call me on 15 (mental telepathy level) for a double mult and
then later Sunday on 20.
3: 20 to JA closed by 2230Z, barely open around sunset. This forced me to try
looking south where the big gun JA's were weak but audible long path. Then I
found a midwest mega station really struggling to work XU7ACY. He must have
been beaming SP, and sent his call 15 times during the QSO; XU7 had it right
early in the QSO. I called in and was done 15 seconds later. Also found 9M6TSC
for another double mult and R1ANB for zone 29.
4: Huge LP signals from the Pacific on 20 Saturday afternoon. I poached TX1B,
found ZL, then very loud VK's. VK7GN was the loudest I've ever heard him S9+
15db from the far side of VK LP!
5: S&P Sunday on 20 with dipole and 2 beams; all the meaningful directions were
pretty well covered. I worked a few new AF, loud KL7's, weak OH0X and UN5P.
6: An African smorgasboard on 15 Saturday morning; I had all of the AF zones
worked in about an hour! There was considerably more AF activity on CW than
SSB, first time I can remember that happening.

Hat's off to ZS4TX for a huge southern AF score and I'll bet A25NW is close to
that as well, A25NW was pretty loud at his Saturday SR on 80M, got him on 160
before the test.

K5ZD and K1DG, you're both looking way back there at the rest of us in your
rearview mirrors, great piloting! It's intersting to note that the top USA
scores are not that much below the rest of the world despite the huge no points
for USA disadvantage.

The WW is the wow factor contest! I'm just grateful that so many hams around
the world have the contesting bug, and that I'm able to have so much fun
working them.