[3830] SS SSB WB6CZG SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, billkea@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WB6CZG SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:03:41 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB6CZG
Operator(s): WB6CZG
Station: WB6CZG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Truckee,CA

   40:    4
   10:    3

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I decided to join NCCC a couple of days prior to this contest and decided to use
N1MM as a logging program 3 days prior to the contest. I thought I could easily
figure out how to use it, hey 2 days of intense playing. Well right away I got
the â??unknown errorâ?? message. Took a bit to figure out that it had to be run
in administrator mode. Now I was ready to â??configureâ??. For many hours/ and
the remaining 2 days, I could not get it to communicate with my TS-2000. I also
had help from Jack KF6T for an 1 1/2 hours on the phone and still it did not
work. I was using a USB to serial converter cable that was working with HRD.
Therefore it should be OKâ?¦..wrong. It turned out it was the USB to serial
converter cable; I switched it out with a different oneâ?¦.IT WORKED. This only
got me to getting the program running but no time to configure it. So Barry,
K6ST, suggested N3JFPâ??s softwareâ?¦..and cost only $6. Got it going right
away so at least I could participate in SS.
That was the first problem; second problem was the newly acquired Heil foot
switch. It broke half way through the contest and I had to go to my Radio Shack
$15 foot switch that was a pain to use; kept sliding all over the place.
And lastly, my station is not set up for contesting. I was sitting on a stool
for my 11 hours operating time. It wasnâ??t my voice that gave out, it was my
butt.
As far as the contest goes, I have a G5RV/jr antenna at 50 ft, but is almost in
a vertical mode in the pine trees, I was limited to 40-10 bands. Wish I could
have gotten on 80.
My goal was to do at least 100 Qs (accomplished)��yes it is not
muchâ?¦..but remember my butt.