[3830] TxQP K0RU SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP K0RU SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:25:20 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K0RU
Operator(s): K0RU
Station: K0RU

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: TX Mobile
Operating Time (hrs): 16:44

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   36      0      0
   40:  215     51      0
   20:  399     20      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  650     71      0  Mults = 92  Total Score = 214,464

QSO POINTS:
NUMBER OF PHONE QSOs 71 X 2 POINTs = 142
NUMBER OF CW QSOs 650 X 3 POINTS = 1950
NUMBER OF Digital QSOs 0 X 3 POINTS = 0
          TOTAL QSO POINTS =  2092

MULTIPLIER POINTS:
TOTAL NUMBER OF TX COUNTIES WORKED  45
TOTAL NUMBER OF STATES /PROVINCES WORKED  42
TOTAL NUMBER OF COUNTRIES WORKED  5
          TOTAL MULTIPLIERS =  92

BONUS POINTS
Add 500 points for each mobile worked in 5 different counties: 0
Mobiles add 1000 points per county covered with 5 contacts: 22000
TOTAL BONUS POINTS  22000

FINAL SCORE
TOTAL QSO POINTS 2092 X TOTAL MULTIPLIERS 92 + BONUS POINTS 22000 = 214464

MULTIPLIER LISTS
COUNTIES WORKED
BLAN BOWI BREW BURL BURN BZOS CMRN COLN COML CULB DALS
DSMI ELLI EPAS GILL GOLI GRSN GUAD HARR HAYS HEND HIDA
HILL HOUS IRIO KEND KERR KLEB LAMP LEE LIVO MGMY MLEN
MONT NACO PARK RAND SABI TARR TRAV UPSH VICT WALL WICH
WMSN

DX WORKED
  Azores Colombia France Germany Isle of Man

STATES / PROVINCES WORKED
  CT ME NH RI NY NJ DE PA MD AL GA KY NC FL SC TN VA
  AR LA MS NM OK CA AZ WA NV OR UT WY MI OH WV IL IN
  WI CO IA KS MN MO ON AB

=============  S O A P B O X  ===============

When Chuck NO5W and Bob W0BH first proposed that I run the TX QSO Party as a
Rover I though wow, thats along way to go to run as a rover.

W0BH - Bob had initially made plans to run them with me as just for fun and
learning experience for myself. But he wasn't sure if he was going to be able
to make it due to some other commitments this year.

At last I decided to go for the run by myself you see I have nobody to drive
for me, so everything is done by me alone (Drive, Rig, CW, Phone, Maps, GPS and
APRS... How exciting)... I decided to drive down to my brothers QTH in Lawton,
OK on friday night and get an early start at 9:00 am on the Clay/Wich County
line.   Yeah right, as usual my plans were fowled, my brother and his wife
insisted on taking me out for a wonderful steak dinner at a resturant called
Sante Fe's in Lawton, wow what an amazing resturant the people were great and
the ummm beer, and another beer and more beer was fantastic.  To say the least,
you guessed it I over slept.

Started the run around 10:00 ish, hit Childress, TX figuring to swing of the
major road and head to Silverton, TX get about 20 miles West of Childress and
realize after looking at my USA Street Atlas (by Delorme) that the next major
city was Silverton, TX and it was like 60 miles.  Glaced at the fuel gauge and
its says 1/8 of tank... Oh boy, this isn't going to work.  Turned around and
drove all the way back about 25 miles to Childress, TX Wal-Mart got gas and
food and headed out once again for Silverton.

There is alot of flat land in Texas, however I must say some of it was very
beautiful.  Finally Saturday night arrived in Amirrillo, TX and worked many of
stations on 80 meters till 9:00 PM and then hooked up with Bob W0BH on the band
who had some advice for resturant and motels in the area.

Hooked up with a place call the Red Barn Steak House in Amirrillo, TX for some
authentic Texas BBQ, how amazing was that... I rolled out the door and back to
the motel room, that food was fantastic...

Finally Sunday (yep late start again, few 807's the night before at the Red
Barn Steak House, and wonderful food) kept me in bed till late.

Finally on the road and the first stop was RAND/ARMS county line, holy Crap...
I never knew there was that many stations waiting for ARMS county.  I spent a
full 1 hour running that county line at 35 wpm on CW with the pileup going just
nuts.  I was amazed.  Thanks for all of the excitement and the wonderful control
for the stations who were calling everyone was very curtious and patient to say
the least as I fumbled around with ONE-HAND logging on the PC and sending with
the hand.  "I DO NOT USE A COMPUTER TO SEND, EVERYTHING IS DONE THE OLD FASHION
WAY, FIST & PADDLES"  so its interesting to see me flopping back and forth as I
send then type everyones calls in the laptop.

Off and running, county after county on the fly, realizing that there was no
way I could stop for a county line like that to many times or I would end up
getting no where in the other counties.

City after city, county after county everyone was patiently waiting and were
polite to QRX as I fumbled with my GPS in small towns trying to get my bearing,
never being to those parts it was like ... Dang, missed that turn, turn around
go back, woops, missed that road... (is that a road? Guess so, GPS says it
is... down the gravel I go again)   (I must say, the roads in Texas sure are
alot smoother then in KS, hahaha)

The most beautiful part I must say was Hutchison County, Texas as I drove
through those parts it really reminded me alot of the Grand Canyon but on a
smaller scale.  Very beautiful bluffs and canyons throughout that area.

Many thanks to everyone for such a wonderful trip and alot of fun.

73 Rob - K0RU

PS: I gotta do this TX QSO PARTY again next year it was a blast