[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE4EAR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VE4EAR SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 05:31:17 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

   80:  154   297       38       9     8
   40:  301   652       44      42    21
   20:  691  1765       45      71    24
   15:   65   183        4      32    15
   10:    0     0        0       0     0
Total: 1211  2897      131     154    68  Total Score = 1,022,641

WOW, So thats what sunspots can do!!!

Friday night 80m was a pleasant surprise, relatively low noise and was more
productive for me than in past contests. The 1/4 wave sloper is limited but not
much else can be done on the small city lot.

As soon as 20m opened on Saturday morning (1245z) to EU, so did 15m. Not strong
but did work several of the big guns. Unfortunately had to QRT in the middle to
deal with family commitments. (Timing is everything) 15m was not strong to the
Caribbean or SA and no AS or AF was heard. Stateside was non existent on
Saturday.

Some great runs on 20m which stayed upen to around 0000z to zone 14. It was
nice to get called by some DX for a change. Clearly not all DX runs a
frequency.

40m and 80m were not as good the second night. Higher noise levels but did
manage to work some EU on 80m at my sunset.  Unlike the east coast gange, EU on
80 is a real rarity from here. Consider everything north of +/-60 degree Azimuth
is a polar route and subject to all the wonderful things that can happen to the
signal.

On Sunday 20m opened a little later and there was no 15m opening to EU. However
15m did provide better SA and CAR propagation. Again no AS and only 1 QSO to AF
and the ZL areas. Stateside were limited to a few FL stations but did hear
several others from MN and WI on backscatter. They couldn't hear me
unfortunately.

10m was dead both days here, at least whenever I checked.

Had a lot of fun and I am sure looking forward to sunspots returning!

The greates thing was running the entire contest at 400W with no complaints of
RFI. New neighbors=no problems.

I know I left a little more score out there but without the propagation to EU
or AS on the low bands and limited 15m openings, VE$ is not the optimum place
for these worldwide contests.

73 and thanks for the Q's and the repeats!

Ed, VE4EAR