[3830] CQ WW RTTY K7IA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K7IA SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:39:34 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SW New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 26:45

   80:  106   126       38       7     7
   40:  210   337       40      38    21
   20:  601  1188       46      70    21
   15:   13    38        0       7     6
Total:  930  1689      124     122    55  Total Score = 508,389

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

My second CQ WW RTTY.  This time I mustered up some "stamina (for me)" and gave
it a good go, improving last year's Q count by over 50 percent.

80m was a nice surprise--quieter than in the past couple of months of
contesting and producing some nice Q rates until "everybody" was worked.  40m
was also quieter but jam packed with ops.  It was a tough job to find a hole to
squeeze into for some running time.  Considerate digi ops left the Texas QSO
Party to themselves until the Texans quit for the evening.

I should have checked 15 meters more often on Saturday--there could have been a
bunch of mults on Saturday that weren't available during the hour I spent on 15
on Sunday.  The few I worked on Sunday (11 of them) were all in America del
Sur.  Most of the ones I called never heard me--they were listening (and
working) EU ops.  Heard only one America del Norte op, but he never heard my
call--he was listening to SA!!  I won't make this mistake again during the CQ
WW CW!

Never bothered to check 10 meters--the rates on 20 were just too good to pass
up, and the mults on 15 just took too much time away from the "action."

The biggest surprise of the weekend came when my neighbor, N2IC, answered my 20
meter running call on Sunday afternoon--using RTTY mode yet!  Things must have
been awfully boring around his mountaintop QTH this weekend!!  Thanks Steve,
for handing me a mult from our home state!

With RTTY tones hypnotically in my ears, my wife Erin (KB5ZKE) wants to know
why I spend my break times answering the telephone only to get a dial tone...

Thanks, CQ Magazine, for sponsoring this, and other, fine worldwide contests!
A great warmup for the CW event!  Thanks also to the worldwide ops who provided
the fine action!

73,
Dan k7ia