[3830] WAE SSB WX3B Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB WX3B Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:04:29 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD

   80:    0     0     0
   40:  138    70    78
   20:  571   567   104
   15:    0     0     0
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  709   637   182  Total Score = 244,972

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This weekend's true highlight was being drafted to the major leagues and
operating at N3HBX with N3HBX, KD4D, K3MM, K3RA, K3MIM and NA3D!

Friday was spent with my son, and since he wakes up late this days, I managed
to get on the air (at WX3B) for about 30 minutes on Saturday morning.  20 was
actually pretty good!

I had a few hours to horse around at home before heading to the Poolesville
mansion/super-station so I figured I'd make a "few" QSOs on 20.  Well the band
was fun, so I ended up putting in about 5 more hours at 3:00pm the band turned
HOT and it was just too much fun to resist.

Arrived and N3HBX to find a very lively 40 meter band - heard about the HUGE
pileups at the begnning of the contest (jealous - missed that) and rode the
evening hours as partner, or operator with KD4D, K3MM and NA3D.  40 had a nice
"peak" late at night, and with the superior pattern of 4/4 on 40, I could hear
the weak ones well.  Went to 80 a couple times, saw that Mark KD4D had a good
short run there for a few minutes.

Things got slow at about 3:30am and Mark graciously permitted me to take a nap.
 Got up at 4:30am and things were REAL slow!  20 meters opened just before
6:00am at N3HBX, did a tour of that for awhile....was glad to be relieved by
Rol K3RA and sit in the partner chair for a couple hours.

Thanks to Mark KD4D and John N3HBX for the operating time - what a GREAT
station!

Got back home at about 1:00pm exhausted after only 1 hour of sleep - figured
well, why not at least "listen" to 20.

That led to 3+ hours of operating, the band just kept getting better....and
better....and BETTER!

After seeing K1LZ spotted on 40m at about 4:30 (thought that was NUTS) I went
there just after 5:00am and called CQ and was warmly welcomed to what sounded
like 20 meters all over again.  Just a booming opening to Europe and being
fresh meat made like being on a DX-Pedition.

I'd sure love to see a M/2 and M/M category for this contest - it's a good one
with GREAT participation by the Euorpean community.

Next stop:  the meat of the contest season starting with CQWW SSB!

73,

Jim  WX3B