[3830] WPX CW KZ9O(KB9OWD) SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KZ9O(KB9OWD) SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:10:29 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KZ9O
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: WI

  160:    2

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

My best score yet in this one from the "black hole" with LP and T/S category!
My goals coming in were either 1000 qso's but mainly a million points.  I had
made the first in this one 2 years ago under worse conditions however alot of
the contest, at this point in the cycle, can be domestic from here so the
latter is a bit more challenging running LP with a TH7 at 50' and a 1/4 wave
for 80.

I did not prep alot for this one and was not sure I would even make a full go
at it.  After doing the M/2 in the SSB portion at W0AIH with HP, big antennas
and a big score, I was worried about the "let down" of coming back to reality.
I also made several trips to Paul's over the winter and between those and being
extremly busy at work, was kinda of "radioed out" for a bit.  Knowing that
propogation could likely be poor, I told my wife she may see alot of me over
the weekend!  That turned out not to be the case!!

Friday night started O.K.  Good opening to EU on 40 with low to minimal noise
for this time of year here.  Running in the T/S category, my antenna on 40 and
80 is an 80 meter 1/4 wave tuned onto 40.  This on top of noise means that any
EU in the log on 40 is an added bonus and 4 or 5 for the contest is not
uncommon.  I was happy to end the first night with 24 6 pointers in the log,
all EU except 1 Africa, 2 ZL and 3 KH6.  Also a nice surprise to hear 15 open
and working the west coast yet at 10:45 P.M. local time with guys still 20 to
30 over 9.

Noting my limitations on 40 and 80, my off times are structured around the
night.  I took my first one from 0615 - 1115.

When I got back on Saturday morning, 20 was opening nice to EU and also some
good JA signals.  I noticed 15 was open alright and 10 was even open south and
to the east coast.  Saturday by far was better than Sunday all around from this
location with conditions like I have not heard in years.

I found a spot way up in the band on 20 and managed to hold a frequency pretty
good with little activity to my sides at different points and managed 2 or 3
different runs into EU which helped the score a bunch.  The mid day absorption
was not that bad and signals stayed strong throughout the day.  Worked into EU
up to sunset here with great signals.

40 and 80 were a mess of noise Saturday night here.  The EU I could hear on 40
made the log Friday night and it was slow going for a bit.  I came back to 20
about 10:30 P.M. local time Saturday night after working 1 of my 2 on 160 and
worked 2 strong UA's and wondered if a polar opening had happened.  What
followed was probably the best opening over the pole for about 2 hours that I
have had in a long time.  I swung the beam due north and put out a CQ on around
14058.  My first CQ netted a pileup that continued for a good 2 hours.  Very
loud stations and a very broad opening, all throughout Russia, Sweden, and even
2 TA in Turkey that called in.  Toward the end of the run a few JA signals even
peaked and made the log.  This opening was probably the largest contribution to
making the 1M point goal as each 3 pointer seemed to bring a new mult with it!

I took my second off time Saturday night from 0530 - 1130Z.  In hindsight, that
was a mistake.  If I would have known how Sunday would have played out, I would
have stayed and milked out a few more hours.  Sunday brought noise across all
bands alot of the day for me, S7 - S9.  20 signals were OK but way down from
Saturday.  I did not even attempt a run at EU until almost 4:30 P.M. (2130)
Sunday afternoon.  The big guns had alot of QSB all day and I was not even
pulling out the weaker ones that I was Saturday.  With a few exceptions, Sunday
was mostly domestic.  The run at 2130 put about 30 new EU stations in the log.

I was dragging at the finish line on Sunday and had to mow lawn yet as they
were talking rain all night and Monday.  Was surprised and relieved to find
that my wife had taken care of it throughout my day of playing as a little
surprise for me.  What a great lady!  At each break, she makes sure to ask for
an update on things and although she really don't fully get it, takes an
interest in what I have to say.  That on top of taking care of the "man duties"
so I can end it and rest makes me a lucky man!!!

Thanks to all for the QSO's and a great time.  I wasn't sure about sticking
this one out but had a blast.  That over the pole opening Saturday night was as
much fun as I have had playing radio in a long time!  The EU runs on 20 with LP
are always a hoot too!  We have a long ways to go, but in listening all
weekend, it seems that maybe the bands are turning around a bit!  We can only
hope!!!

See you in IARU!

73

Ryan KB9OWD