[3830] WPX SSB KT4ZB SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4zb@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KT4ZB SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:01:50 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station: KT4ZB

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: Savannah

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Ok - This was the contest of Murphy, Mother Nature and QRM.  With exactly 2
minutes to go before the start of the contest Murphy stopped by and the Amp
went... BAM!  Completely dead, no lights, no nothing, circuit breaker was ok;
so I am now Low Power for this contest.  My favorite contest with wall to wall
QRM too. I was able to run some stateside on 20 meters picking up some mults.
Found some of the Southeast Contest Club members and Rick at NQ4I where I have
worked WPX before. Decided to go to bed a little early and get an early start
Saturday because my wife and I were to attend an Anniversary party Saturday
evening.

Things were ok until Saturday afternoon when the tornado sirens went off as
Mother Nature arrived on the East coast.  Down goes the tower, everything
unplugged before the wind and hail arrive; yes, that's right we had hail too.
There was still ice laying on the windshield wipers when my wife and I went out
to the dinner.  Get back on the air at midnight and can't hear anything but the
storm up the coast.  Worked a few and went to bed.

Sunday morning was sunny and breezy; so up goes the tower and back to 20
meters.  Oh, I remember, I'm low power...there is no place for me!  Can run
some stateside sometimes but never into Europe.  15 meters opens to South
America so that's fun and also a tiny bit on 10 meters.  Never heard any Europe
on 15 meters.  Then...just as 20m shifts to SA, the power goes out for an hour!
Dang, Mother Nature and those winds, again.

What did I learn from this?  Yep, whatever you plan to do, it doesn't include
Murphy and Mom Nature.  Love this contest.  Thanks for the QSOs and see you
next time.

Yaesu FT100D, TH6-DXX and dipoles for 40 & 80 meters.

Best - Jere