[3830] Commonwealth G3BJ Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g3ozf@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G3BJ Open HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:03:24 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: G3BJ
Operator(s): G3BJ
Station: G3BJ

Class: Open HP
QTH: Nr Ludlow, England

   10:    2
------------
Total:  365  Total Score = 6,500

Club: Chiltern DX Club of UK

Comments:

An interesting contest. As far as I remember, this is the first time for a while
where I've started the contest at 10.00 Z - and stayed - on 40m, and that was a
reflection of what was to come. Really mediocre HF conditions, but LF condition
which gave good opportunities for easy bonus points.

For once, things seemed to work OK here - no equipment problems, and even the
operator seemed to be getting the hang of SO2R (but this is a lifetime's
learning opportunity). The new beverage on VK/ZL worked a tad better than the
K9AY, and I had no problems copying the LF DX on that path. Great increase in
activity in some parts of the world (kudos to Bob, G3PJT, and Dave G4BUO for
all their hard work here) and many parts of the Commonwaelth were all over the
bands like a rash.

Disappointment was western VE, which only made it into the South Shropshire log
on 7MHz. No VE7 on 20m or 80m (:-(

The contest managed to keep the adrenalin going until about 04.00, at which
point I learned what it's like to hit a concrete block at 70 mph. From 04.00
until 10.00, with the exception of the VK/ZL openings on 80/40/20, I found
virtually no new stations to work. Continual CQ'ing and listening on the other
bands produced a real shortage of new QSOs and, more importantly, bonus QSOs.

Although I am slowly learning that you must move EVERYTHING to another band in
BERU, I still forget - so some bonus points got away due to carelessness. But
some very rewarding moves, proving that you CAN beat propagation - or more
significantly, what you believe to be propagation.

Great to hear so many G stations out and about, and great signals from 6Y8XF
and V47CD - just huge. Also a great pleasure to hear so much from VU/AP - a
nice improvement - lets hope this is a sign of things to come. And VQ9JC was
BIG everywhere.

A good UK-based element to the competition - it was interesting to keep track
of the others by eavesdropping - a very close call this year, I think.

Usual stuff here: 2 x FT 1000MP + linears, 10-40 yagi at 80 ft, steppir at 60
ft, dipoles, 90ft vertical, K9AY and beverages. Win-Test doing its usual great
stuff on the logging.

Thanks to everyone for another great contest - roll on 2010.

73

Don, G3BJ