[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:55:00 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE, N4CW, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1747  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 74  Total Score = 857,736

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This had to be the absolute best combination of ingredients that I have had the
opportunity to experience for a 160 meter contest.  Start out with a cold
weekend in the middle of the winter, mix in great band conditions, no equipment
failures, outstanding food, a couple bottles of wine and what do you get? Three
guys having lots of fun.  Thanks to Jack - W0UCE and Bert - N4CW for making
this CQ160 such an enjoyable time.  If we just worked a VE4 the weekend would
have been perfect.  Where were you guys?

When we finally shut down on Saturday morning and checked out our totals we
were quite pleased.  We were well ahead of last year and ahead of this year's
goals. Then we looked at each other and made the same statement. "If we did
this well, what kind of numbers would the big stations be posting?"  By Sunday
morning our then reset goals were also beaten.  Then to top it all off the
final QSO at 21:57 UTC was one last multiplier. A big thanks to 4Z5J.  Again
the question came up about how our score would hold up against the big
stations.  Well, I have been out to 3830 after the contest and now I know.
The big stations have already started to post HUGE numbers.  Congratulations
are truly in order for a job well done!  Based on the 2008 results we would
have been in second place for Multi-op USA.  Right now we are hoping to stay in
the top 10.

We have already started to discuss what we could have done differently in hopes
of improving on our 2010 results.  Bottom line - we need more 10 point Qs. We
had 1325 two point Qs, 90 five point Qs and 332 ten point Qs.

We would really like to thank everyone that posted us to the cluster.  From a
quick check we were posted 49 times.  The rate meter let us know every time.
Also thanks to the many ops that were patient with us for asking for repeats.
The band was in great shape and your signals were strong enough, but there are
still stations with those wonderful Key Clicks that make close proximity copy
quite hard even with the K3 filters cranked down to 200hz. These stations are
not the little guys either.  Some of the biggest Clicks are from the BIGGEST
stations.  Before next year please buy a few K3s to go with your monster
antennas and get rid of the clicks.

Station: Elecraft K3, AL 1500, Inverted-L, Inverted-V, and for receive we had
five beverages: W - NW - N - NE - S

73,
Bruce - N1LN