[3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:51:00 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM95

Total:  QSOs = 198  Total Score = 882

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After a painful experience converting CT's VHF output to an acceptable Cabrillo
file for last year's Stew, I swore to never again use CT in this contest.  The
Warmup was a great chance to test several things never used before in a
contest:

1.  N1MM software (directly supports the Stew).
2.  Winkeyer built this summer to run with N1MM.
3.  Diversity receive in my K3 (TX antenna on Main, Beverage on Sub).

N1MM worked fine for this neophyte user other than crashing my computer once.
I believe this was caused by running too many other things in background and it
worked fine once I removed them and rebooted...always a fast process in Windows.
 ;-)  Winkeyer worked fine for computer generated code but I also had my old
Logikey K-1 in parallel for hand-sending (and redundancy).  Diversity was an
interesting experience and I'm sure it helped with QSB on some signals.  I
distinctly remember one DX station sending his Grid as his signal moved from
left (TX antenna) to right (Beverage) in my headphones.  I probably would not
have copied his exchange with either antenna alone.

Conditions seemed good but activity became very slow after the initial flurry
wore off.  After 4 hours I quit at 0230z and returned at my sunrise for one QSO
with VK6VZ (my best DX for 26 points).

The Stew is always a fun event but, in the spirit of Stew Perry himself, I hope
some well-known stations will fix their clicks before the next one in December.

73,  Bill  W4ZV