[3830] TxQP W4PM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP W4PM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:02:38 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

  160:
   80:    4
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  178     0       0  Mults = 119  Total Score = 63,546

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec Omni VII, Ameritron ALS-600 400W
Ant: 176' CF wire at 60'

20 was the place to be for VA to TX QSO's.  40 was covered by the RTTY contest
most of the time and 80 didn't have much activity that I could hear. If any
mobiles were on 80 they were covered by QRN.  It was fun chasing the likes of
K5NA (33 Q's), W0BH (21 Q's), NO5W (19 Q's), WW5X (18 Q's), and W3DYA (9 Q's).
Another six mobiles gave me 4 or 5 qso's each.  W5ZL, Gary, the back seat
burrito in the K5NA burrito mobile did a bang up job on 20! The other guys in
the burrito mobile were on bands for which I had no propagation although I did
manage one QSO with the K5NA 40m burrito.

There were a lot of EU stations in this event.  I was beat out in pileups a few
times by DL3DXX and LY2ZZ. These guys were big all day on 20. There were a
number of other EU stations with great signals as well as CU2JT in the Azores.
I bet some of the Texas mobiles though they were in a DX contest at times!

This contest was a hoot.  It was fun to get multiple counties with WX5C and
W0BH as they straddled county lines. I kept 4 of the mobiles' frequencies in
the band stacking registers and another in VFO B.  I guess I could have used
the memories for this but my method was easier for me.  I just kept pushing the
band button or the A/B button to jump between registers to check if the guys had
arrived at another county yet.

I just wish there were more fixed stations on CW during this event but the
mobiles saved the day and kept my interest up.

CU in this one next year.  Thanks to all the Texas gang for putting on a great
event.

73,
Puck, W4PM