[3830] SARTG VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SARTG VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:33:39 -0700
                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

   80:   14   130     9
   40:  129  1445    33
   20:  205  2425    59
   15:    3    30     2
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  351  4030   103  Total Score = 415,090

* FT-2000 + SB221
* N1MM Logger and MMTTY
* 3-el tribander @45'
* 40M twin reversible half-squares
* 80M dual 1/4-wave elevated verticals

Year  Qs   Mult  Score   Class
---------------------------------
2008  351  103   415,090 (SOABHigh)
2007  346  103   423,330 (SOABHigh)
2006  225   67   156,110 (SOABLow)
2005   45   18     8,460 (SO20Low)
2004  176   71   132,060 (SOABLow)
2003  109   57    74,385 (SOABLow)
2002   98   66    73,920 (SOABLow)

SFI=66 | A=5 | K=2

Propagation could have been better, but it has been quite a bit worse. The band
closest to being its old self was 40M with a good, solid Asia opening Sunday
morning (session 3). Really enjoyed seeing so many JA calls.

20M Europe openings weren't very good at all. No Gs, though one or two tried,
no SMs but a handful of OHs. Opened the 1 a.m. session 3 on 20M pointed at Asia
and it was very good -- huge JA/DS/9M6 signals.

Did land a couple of VKs on 40M. Managed a few more 80M Qs and mults than last
year, but not much activity at all there -- think the extra mults were due to
running a second radio on 80M while calling on 40M Friday night. 15M and 10M
were wastelands.

Could have stayed on longer toward the end but Qs seemed to dry up on 40M
around 4:30 a.m. local (1130z) so I headed to bed after working a couple of
weak EU signals on 20M. Finished up with 5 more Qs than last year but QSO
points down slightly, and the same mult total as last year (countries down 6
mostly due to weak 20M DX, sections up 6 mostly due to stronger 40M DX).

I sure do enjoy this contest format, especially when there's an NAQP SSB to
fill some of the down-time. The alternative to contesting this weekend: sanding
wood floors. Long live amateur radio... it ain't just a hobby, it's an excuse.
Alas, on Sunday I guess I'll be chasing dust not DX.