[3830] WPX CW VA3DF SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dferris1@cogeco.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VA3DF SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 06:30:06 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    3

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Missed this contest last year, so I set a goal of exceeding my score from 2006.
Figured that would be a challenge considering that we are now at the bottom of
the sunspot cycle(?). I installed a new 40 m. antenna last summer but, for a
variety of reasons, never had the opportunity to assess its performance during
a major dx contest - so this would be an excellent opportunity to check see how
it played.

Have to say that the results on 40 m. with the new antenna were very gratifying
as I had no problem working lots of European stations with 5 W.

As the contest progressed, I began to doubt that I would beat my old score as I
was behind on both mults and qsos, however; I kept digging and by 0800Z Sunday I
was ahead on qsos but still way behind on mults. Sunday was spent looking for
opportunities and with 1 hour of operating time left I was even on qsos but
still behind on mults and total score - took my last off time and went back to
the radio knowing I had my work cut out.

The last hour was tremendous, my Elecraft K2 developed a real KW attitude and I
was working anyone, anywhere in Europe with absolutely no problem. The log shows
a string of mults and qsos that blows my mind! This was the last major  contest
for the K2 as I expect delivery of a new K3 within the next few weeks and I
have to say the little radio really went out on a high note.

Bottom line - beat the old score, achieved my goals and had a great time!

73,

Doug
VA3DF