[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:04:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica

  160:    3     3
   80:  254    42
   40:  465    48
   20:  680    55
   15:  957    55
   10:    8     3
-------------------
Total: 2367   206  Total Score = 1,462,806

Rig:

Kenwood TS 940S with output set at 5 Watts

Antennas:

Quad up 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M

TH6 Tribander up 25 meters

2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters

2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees

80M rotatable short dipole up 32 meters

80M loop with apex up 27 meters

160M inverted L

So far this year, conditions seem somewhat worse than last year. But you don't
really need good propagation to work pretty well into the USA and VE from
TI5KD's station, even with QRP. In addition I think I was the only TI station
on for this contest.  Both of those factors contributed to occasionally
attracting some pretty decent pile-ups when I changed to a new band, despite
QRP power.

Almost all my QSOs were by CQing.  The only time I did S&P was when I was
looking for a hole to call CQ. Of the over 2,300 Qs, probably less than 100
were by S & P. Normally most of my Qs are S & P.

I planned to work through the first night with no sleep. But the American
Airlines flight was late getting down on Thursday and did not arrive until
until after midnight. So I could only manage 3 hours of sleep before starting
set-up on Friday. After that, I wound up having to sleep 2 hours Friday night
and 3 hours Saturday night.

10 Meters ( a necessity for a QRP entry!) was a total loss.  I checked often on
both days during what might have been the peak hours.  When I found no USA / VE
stations, I called CQ anyway.  But I was only able to get 8 stations in three
states the entire time.

I did get WAS on 15 Meters and missed only Wyoming for WAS on 20 M.

It was an exciting contest. Many thanks to Keko, TI5KD, for allowing me the use
of his station.  And thanks to Sophie, Keko's wife, who is a licensed ham as
well as a gormet cook, and served five star meals, ...at the rig!

...Bill Parker   W8QZA / TI5N