[3830] SS CW K4XD SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, work@tourstar.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4XD SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:00:14 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4XD
Operator(s): K4XD
Station: K4XD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Raleigh NC

  160:    0
   10:    0

Spent some time on station setup Saturday - I wanted to have my AL-80B and THP
1.5K amps switch selectable so I could give the THP a break when running.  Had
to convert the AL-80B back to 120V so I could keep both plugged in, since I
only have one 220V outlet in the shack.  Had a few "oh no" moments during setup
when it looked like I had inflicted damage on the ICOM 756PII (I'd never seen
the display goofed up before - VFO 1 display was blank but VFO 2 was showing
OK??!), and when my Ameritron RCS-12 antenna switch decided to show no antennas
selected and the yellow XMIT LED on even when I wasn't transmitting.  Wiggling
wires and rebooting seemed to fix everything.

One hour before starting I noticed intermittent high SWR on 80M.  Went out in
the yard and found half of my K1JEK Cobra Ultralight Sr. antenna hanging like a
hammock.  Shot a sinker over a branch and back in service with 20 minutes to
spare, good because 80M was productive.

My primary goal was a sweep (gotta get that mug!) but also wanted to improve on
last year's score. OK on both, but in retrospect wish I had taken less time off
and hit 100K.  But that does give me a nice goal for next year.

Only my second CW SS and still getting my CW ears.  The MRP-40 code reader is a
blessing (and maybe a crutch?).  It doesn't always decode 100% but I know I
couldn't possibly be operating at 25 - 30wpm without it. Also helps to have the
exchange captured much of the time so I can start sending mine before I finish
typing yours into WriteLog.

I am in awe of the great ops in this contest.  My S&P rate was only 30 -
40/hour, and I was getting serials in the 300's when I was still under 100!
Kept me from worrying too much about winning anything ;-).

Good omen getting VY1EI into the log in the second hour.  No pileup either.
Eric even took the time to compliment my "good signal."  Thanks for giving Jay
some help!

Caught 4 hours sleep from 3 to 7 Sunday morning and back to the dials with lots
of new stations to work.  It really does make sense for Assisted to be a
separate category -- having worked S&P by tuning up the dial vs. clicking on
the "light blue spots" in the WriteLog bandmap, there's no comparison in rate.

MB was the toughest section, saw a spot for a VE4 on 20 and got there just in
time to hear his last QSO and then QRT!!  Finally nabbed one at 1627 Sunday and
put the Sweep to bed.

Got tired of sitting and concentrating Sunday afternoon so took a few more
hours off.  People laugh when I say contesting is exhausting ("how can it be
tiring to just sit in front of the radio?").  They should try it.

Got back to the dials Sunday evening for final 3 hour push, including some good
(for me) runs on 40M.  Max rate was around 60/hr, I know that's not setting any
records but it is addicting, in a pinball sort of way.  Back to back Q's are a
blast.  Much better than listening to your own CQ over and over and wondering
if everyone went to watch football or if a squirrel ate the coax.

I'm also in awe of people who work "real" pileups.  My befuddled moment was
when VE3EJ and VE3EY answered my CQ simultaneously, both dead-on zero beat, at
the same level, and starting within 2 dots of each other!  I sent "VE3?" twice
and they both came back synchronized like Blue Angels.  I was really wondering
what to do next when "J" came back in the clear.  Thanks!

Still learning WriteLog's nuances -- like "Enter Sends Exchange/QRZ."  Great
feature, but sometimes in my tired state I would try to get smart and move the
cursor to the serial number field before hitting enter, and listen in horror as
I sent "TU QRZ" instead of my exchange!  Thanks to all who hang in there while I
regained composure and went for "take two."

Some amazing QRP signals out there.  Always a bit surprised when I'm hearing a
signal that is every bit as loud as the last HP station and then hear "Q" for
precedence.  And then, there are the "will I ever get this exchange?!" QRPers.
Love you guys and your mettle, but it does make me feel a bit stupid to ask for
the CK? five times!  I've heard of "selective fading" but why is it always the
part of the exchange you need repeated that selectively fades?! Thanks to the
ops who wisely send their missing info several times - often would only hear
one of the repeats but one is enough.

All in all, great fun and thanks to all for the Q's.   Thanks also to my family
for tolerating my "missing in action" weekends.  Although I hear a rumor that
"shopping is the best revenge."

73,
Rowland K4XD