[3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:36:17 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Santa Cruz, Aruba

  160:  152    12       31
   80:  529    22       80
   40:  606    24       91
   20: 1382    27      103
   15: 1884    26       98
   10: 1042    19       42
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:  IC756ProII, TenTec Titan 425 (1KW)  SO1R  WinTest Software V 3.17

Antennas:
160:  Vertical Dipole, Inverted V @ 70'
 80:  3 ele wire yagi pointed EU @ 60', Inverted V @ 70'
 40:  4 ele wire yagi pointed EU @ 60', 2 ele wire yagi to US/JA @ 70', F12 C4
 20:  F12 4 ele @ 72', F12 C4@60'
 15:  Cushcraft 4 ele @ 82', F12 C4
 10:  F12 5 ele @ 77', F12 C4
800' beverage EU, 450' beverage US/JA, 500' bev N/S, 500' bev E/W

COMMENTS:

All week I knew there would be 'issues' this time largely weather related that
would ultimately had a trickle down effect on how the contest played out for
me.   With a tropical depression forming over KP4 the normal wind/wx pattern
was disrupted, the easterly trade winds replaced by a quite rare westerly flow.
 This created a wet unstable air mass overhead that produced persistent
cloudiness, showers and t-storms.  Heavy showers and local t-storms cost me 1.5
days of precious outdoor setup work time, delaying the final station antenna
prep until late Friday morning.  I was physically tired going into the contest
after climbing one of my towers four times on Friday morning to repair coax and
rotator control cable failures.  This probably played some part in my problems
with sleep management later in the weekend.

Given the elevated QRN levels from the TD, I expected low band operation would
be a challenge and it certainly turned out that way.  Poor 160M and 80M
propagation to EU Friday night further complicated the situation.  It took
persistent calling to raise even the louder EU stns. on these bands.  Opened up
on 20M, but it was never heart pumping great and conditions deteriorated at
least 30 minutes earlier than last year, forcing a confrontation with the low
band QRN that much sooner.  Daytime 20 and 15 seemed quite good for the most
part, but the longer haul opennings to AS seemed down from last year.  10M was
just about a carbon copy of 2006 but the EU signals were less abundant. Had a
hot 311 hour on 10 Saturday afternoon, it was open coast to coast. The
unexpected arrival of P43A on 15M Saturday morning added to the overall level
of difficulty  but these things happen (P43A is located just 150M away and runs
a full KW).  The beverages helped somewhat.

Regarding off time, the first night worked out perfectly, took an hour just
before sunrise which left me feeling alert and rested all day Saturday.  At
0130Z the second night I decided to take a 1.5 hour nap and then go the rest of
the way.  Unfortunately despite three alarms buzzing, the nap turned turned into
a nearly 7 hour siesta.  As a result I missed most of low band EU time Saturday
night, and took at least 4 more hours of off time than I would have otherwise.
My mistake will probably cost me at least one place in the final results, and
left me pretty upset with myself, but I finally decided it wasn't the end of
the world and forged on.  Still had a great time operating what I and others
consider to be the second most competitve and fun DX contest of the year (CQWW
CW is still #1 and will always be the "big show" in my book).

Made time on this trip to socalize with P40PA (W4PA) who operated from P43JB's
QTH.  Took Scott on the nickle tour of P4 stations (P49MR, P40A, P43P,
P49Y/P40L and of course P40W/P40R).  Then we enjoyed Thursday evening dinner
together with Joop P43JB and his XYL Yvonne.  On Friday Scott and I had a high
carb lunch at Pizza Hut and hit the food stores for last minute contest
munchies.

Special congrats to my friends 8P5A and VY2ZM for their FB SOAB HP scores, and
to all the operators worldwide who made an effort to participate, particularly
those who traveled outside their home countries to supply some rare mults.

CU again in CQWW CW from P40W.

73,

John W2GD