[3830] Commonwealth VE3DZ(@VE3SY) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rigexpert.net
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VE3DZ(@VE3SY) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:56:13 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VE3DZ
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: VE3SY

Class: Open HP
QTH: Petersburg, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

   10:    1
------------
Total:  732  Total Score = 7,420

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was quite a challenge to operate this contest full time under current solar
conditions.
Especially after recent storm that  took down the Tribander which we usually
use for the 2nd Radio at VE3SY and damaged the 40 m beamâ?¦ The beam was
repaired just in time for the contest, but  the tribander is due some time next
week, so my SO2R capabilities were somewhat limited. During the evening Low Band
opening to EU I discovered that 1000â?? beverage is not working either and very
strong static crashes on both 40 and 80 m just completed my status of being an
alligator on 80â?¦ Myapologies to those who struggled to work me.
In the morning after the contest I took a walk in the snow following the
beverage line and found it broken just a bit over 20 feet from the feed
pointâ?¦ Oh wellâ?¦

Congratulations to Dave VO1AU who operated the station of Gus, VO1MP on his
great score! When I heard him pounding barely audible Gâ??s on 40 an 80 I knew
we have no chances here in Ontario. It was quite a fun though trying to chase
John VE3EJ, and at some point I was pretty close (about 10 Qâ??s I guess) to
him, but when the Low bands really came into the game the chase was over and
it became really boring with the Q rate of 7-10 per hourâ?¦ I even took a short
90 minutes nap around 0400 UTC and it allowed me to stay in chair up until the
end of the contest.

Paul VE3SY encouraged me to use his Win-test in this Contest, mostly because it
directly
Supports this Contest and we figured out how to keep track of bonuses and the
interface looked a bit more easy and user friendly to me than N1MM. However,
probably because of lack of practice I felt that ESM mode  in N1MM LOG plays
much better once you get used to it. Also CTY-CWM file of Win Test was way out
of date, not allowing me to get points for E51PJT and ZS3/G3LZQ, so I had to
edit it manually during the slow hours of the contest.

I think it mightâ??ve been a good idea to do this contest as 12-hr, at least
until the activity on 15 and 10 grows up again. Thanks to all who moved for me
and especially to Bob VE3KZ who operated as VA3RAC for the only 5-bander.

Thanks again to Paul VE3SY and Marg VE3RE for their hospitality.

Yuri  VE3DZ

My scoring table:
Band   QSO   DXCC/area HQ  Points Bonuses
80    160      25      4    800    940
40    226      34      4   1130   1360
20    315      31      5   1575   1120
15     30      12      1    150    320