[3830] RTTY WPX WI6NE(@K6IDX) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX WI6NE(@K6IDX) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 01:35:11 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: WI6NE
Operator(s): WK6I W6OAT N6DE
Station: K6IDX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA

   80:  404  1006
   40:  691  2698
   20:  899  1787
   15:  622  1084
   10:    1     1
-----------------
Total: 2617  6576  Prefixes = 668  Total Score = 4,392,768

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Brad K6IDX for hosting us.

We had a great time!  The adventure started with lunch in Georgetown a few
hours before the contest.  The diner actually offers a Royale with Cheese, and
I was really tempted to order it, but decided to just go with a cheeseburger
and fries.  Honestly, I think the only difference was that the Royale with
Cheese included a salad in addition to french fries.  And anyway, there's no
way I was gonna drown my fries in mayo, so there was no need to live out this
reference.

We picked up a bunch of food at the market and hunkered down at K6IDX for the
entire contest.  Jeff installed MMTTY and the MMTTY plug-in for Writelog on the
right station, and started the contest on the left station, while Rusty and I
continued working on the setup and RTTY interface for the second station.
After the second transmitter was QRV an hour into the contest, we ended up
simultaneously activating both for most of the contest.  This was more than I
expected, but the contest was fun and drew us in.  Overnight the first night, I
operated SO2TX while Jeff and Rusty got much needed sleep.  SO2TX helped keep me
awake and was less restrictive than SO2R!  The second night I tried the same
thing, but about 2:30am, the amplifier on the 40m station started arcing.  I
really hate the sound of arcing in the morning, and immediately stopped
transmitting on that station, reverting to SO1R on the right station.  It
freaked me out, and I hope nothing is seriously wrong with the amp.
Interestingly, it performed well for us on 20m the rest of the day without any
arcing.

Thanks to WB6JJJ for our only 5-band QSO station.  I heard some other stations
on 10m (KA4RRU, PX2A, LUs, etc), but none of them could hear us.  There were
also several JAs and Asian stations who we heard on 80m, but they couldn't hear
us.  We had a similar experience with Europeans on 80m.  Probably the most
memorable 80m contact was when Rusty contacted a TK station.  Jeff made 250
European QSOs on 20m... a great total from the west coast!  We stopped and got
the J2 DXpedition guys in our CW and SSB logs both mornings.  Rusty caught a
European opening on 15m on Sunday to I, IS, F, and EA.  OH6R called me on 15m
in the 20Z hour on Saturday.

I only heard one station all weekend that was reversed.  Honorable mention goes
to the station that called Jeff 170Hz off frequency, but the grand prize winner
goes to the station that called me 330Hz off frequency!  Thanks to everyone for
all the packet spots.  Most everyone spotted us directly on frequency, but one
was >2kHz off (probably 2125Hz).  Jeff saw the spot and jumped up to the
frequency to call CQ there instead!

Despite the WI6NE callsign, we did not even have a sip of Jeff's fantastic
Twisted Oak wine the entire contest!

We feel really good about this score from the west coast.  Thanks to everyone
for all the QSOs!  We had a lot of 4-band QSOs.  Here are the continental
distribution percentages from our log:

           80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    NA     377    392    492    419      1    1681    64.2
    AF       4      7      9      7      0      27     1.0
    OC       3     21      9     16      0      49     1.9
    SA       3     10     10     27      0      50     1.9
    AS      10    223    128    137      0     498    19.0
    EU       7     38    250     16      0     311    11.9

73...
-Dean - N6DE