[3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:29:25 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6JY
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

   20: 1617    37      129
------------------------------
Total: 1617    37      129  Total Score = 626,650

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Don, VE6JY, for hosting me on a very cold and snowy (down to
-24C) winter weekend at his hobby farm north of Edmonton.  When I say hobby
farm, I mean it, as Don's place is completely devoted to ham radio and SWLing.
There are many big antennas spread out across the property, and at multiple
heights - it's a fantastic place from which to do competitive radio.

   This particular weekend was a real challenge with the disturbed conditions.
The VE6JY station has been responsible for some of the biggest single band
scores to come out of Canada, especially on 20, 15, and 10M.  However, when the
bands are not so good, propagation at this latitude can really deteriorate.

    Friday evening was really tough.  I was only able to CQ, at about one a
minute, for the first 50 minutes of the contest.  Then it was search and pounce
time, for the next 15 straight hours.  Unfortunately, although I could hear
stations just fine, they couldn't hear me.  About 25% of those I called did not
go into the log, including a bunch of "easy" multipliers that I did not later
come across.  Usually, I was heard when I was the only guy calling. It was
really frustrating to find an HC8N, or even a big gun JA, and get beaten again
and again by W6s or VE7s that had much smaller stations. It takes so getting
used to when you're accustomed to calling and getting through almost
immediately!

    Conditions did pick up somewhat as the weekend progressed.  Although very
few EUs answered my CQs over the course of the contest, the band was open all
Friday night over the pole (S&P to big gun stations only).  It was productive
enough (15 to 25 per hour) to not take a sleep break. By Sunday, I began to
feel louder; I was able to bust through some big big pileups with just one
call.

    All in all, I learned some more about VE6 propagation during
less-than-ideal conditions.  Although the rates were disappointing, the weekend
was actually really interesting, and I think the experience will help me to do
better the next time I operate from there.

    Thank to all for the QSOs!

73,

Gary  VA7RR