[3830] ARRLDX SSB KT0R M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt0r@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KT0R M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:17:15 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT0R
Operator(s): KT0R K0OB K0AD KE0L NR0L WG0M K0W
Station: KT0R

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MN

  160:   14    13
   80:   54    32
   40:  109    61
   20:  857   100
   15:  169    65
   10:    5     3
-------------------
Total: 1208   274  Total Score = 981,468

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

What a contest. I was hoping to make it to W0AIH for the contest but, xyl had to
work so I was to be home. I started talking to a few people and decided to go
for a Multi-2 effort. I just think multi-2 is more fun and you don?t have to
worry about the band changes so much. Once Al K0AD and Greg K0OB commented to
operating I knew we could have a good effort. My problem is I tend to stay up
too late on low bands and miss some of the early high band activity. Greg and Al
did a great job. Thanks guys.

Friday night started out rough. I had very high noise level on low bands S9-plus
and 40 just didn?t seem that good. It still amazes me how a station in Europe
running 150 watts can cq on 40 and not hear me, when he is S9+. I called many
stations many times on 40 and others would come right back. The first night only
netted 145 q?s. I was on my own for the most part. Tom KC0W came over around
10:00 pm for a couple hours and tuned around a bit. I did manage to work a
couple EU stations on 80. 160 was very hard to copy much of anything.

Saturday Al K0AD came over to work morning shift and did a great job on the
crowed 20 meter band. Jim KE0L came over for about 2 hours of so and worked 15
meters on what he could hear. Also Neill NR0L (ex-KA0WQA) got his first taste of
contesting in a multi-op environment. Neill was over for a short time. And Mike
WG0M came over for a few hours to help Al while I had to take my sons to a
birthday party in the late morning to early afternoon. I think they had fun. Tom
KC0W returned on Saturday for a bit and operated till around 6:00pm. I again had
to leave for a basketball game from 4:00-6:00. Came home and had the shack to my
self for the evening. The low bands were again a struggle but managed to work
more mults and even got VP5H on 160. That was neat. Glen you were weak on 160
but, 100 watts FB. I saw you spotted several times and listened and finally
heard you and you came right back to me. Thanks. Was fun to hear GO MWA on every
Q. I also worked KL7 and KH6 on 160 that was cool. The 2nd night we were up to
718 q?s. I called a few Ja?s early Saturday morning, with no luck. I was
surprised they were fairly strong but no qso with Ja on 40. Was very nice to
have some Ja?s on 20 during the day. Never could really run to Japan, they
seemed loud but would cq with no answers except from USA stations that said Wow
what a signal. I guess that is good to know for the state side contest. Hi Now
if we can just do that into Europe or Asia.

On Sunday: Greg K0OB was slated for his morning run; of course Greg was right on
time as usual. He jumped right into the fire. Got a run frequency and we stayed
there all day. I think we just had about 2 frequencies all day on 20 meters
14.266 and 14.220. We just kept running working the stations through the qrm.
And boy was there qrm. With many, many repeats. Thanks to all that stayed with
us. Once Al K0AD came over after church Greg and I did a little SR2O
(single-radio-two-operators), I think it helped us work a few more and took the
strain off the main operator. I really enjoy working with Al and Greg they are
great operators. Greg had to leave around 1:00 so it was just Al and I for the
rest of the contest. It was fun to be called by S9SS and 7Z1SJ and many others.
We had a great time. Earlier before Al arrived I was on 15 and  was hoping for
15 meters to pop and open to Europe, 1st they started coming in southeast then
East, then direct path but, never really opened to Europe. We could not run on
15 meters, despite the ledged report of being very strong on 15 meters, either
day.  My 1st qso on 40 meters Sunday afternoon was at 20:48 utc, but then was
hour later before could work more Europe on 40. It was a lot of work but, was
worth the mults and there was not much new on 15 meters. Did finally work a few
Ja?s on 15 meters for a mult. Again a few good signals but nothing else heard
for running. My noise problem popped up again on 15 at the end of the contest so
that made thing tough at times. I think I netted about 20 q?s on 40 at the end
and several mults. 15 meters was gone and 20 there were no new stations to work,
except ZF2NT Bruce had the biggest pile-up. I don?t think he had been on 20 all
weekend. We heard several MWA?ers get in there, but we just had no luck. We just
missed 1 million points. Every q or multiplier saw the score creep to the mark,
but we just ran out of time. The clock went to 00:00 and that was it. So all in
all we did better than last year despite the lack on 10 and 15 meters and the
low mult count on low bands. We had 267 more qso?s and our score was 100K points
better but, 45 less mults.

Thanks to the guys for coming over and operating and I hope everyone had a good
time. I know I did.

Hope to see you all in WPX.
Vry 73 Dave KT0R