[3830] CaQP K6RIX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6rix@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6RIX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:49:00 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6RIX
Operator(s): K6RIX
Station: K6RIX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Whittier, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

  160:
   80:           5
   40:          13
   20:          15
   15:           1
   10:
    6:           1
    2:
--------------------
Total:   0      35  Mults = 15  Total Score = 1,050

This was my FIRST contest (not counting Field Day).  I planned on a low key
effort, just to get my feet wet.  I purchased and installed N3FJP's software and
it worked great!  I spent money on a new Heil headset, footswitch, adapter for
IC-706MkII, only to find out on Saturday, 6-hours after the contest started and
about 10 minutes of calling CQ, that the Heil mic will not drive the ICOM radio.
 Its best to test this BEFORE the contest!  So out came the handmic (yuck), but
at least I had some comfortable phones.  I actually thought of using a headband
to strap the mic to my face, as the footswitch was working perfectly to key the
radio; it would have made a great picture (wife already thinks I'm a dork).

I knew I would be starting late on Saturday as I was going to install my M2
6M7JHV beam and try for some 6-meter contacts.  The beam went up in about an
hour, but I wasn't going to be ready to start operating until 2200z.  6 sucked
BTW.  A lot of effort for nothing unless you count experience for the future.  I
really need to learn about 6-meter propagation!  The neighbors really like the
new antenna!  They said a 30' boom is not long enough and I should have gone
bigger.

The HF antenna is nothing more than two 51' lengths of wire fed with ladderline.
 The manual tuner about killed me when it came time to switch bands.  Nightmare!
 I was able to talk to everyone I heard with good signal reports coming back.  A
LDG tuner is on the wishlist now.

My big problem was RFI.  I will address this in the near future.  In the mean
time, Dad's contest comes before World of Warcraft and I'm really sorry the DSL
modem keeps losing its connection.  The KT34XA will be up for next years
contest, on a properly installed and grounded tower system.

I had fun for the few short hours I actully got to play.  I don't think I will
ever be a 24 hour operator, but am more than happy to hand out points where I
can.  CW next year for sure too!

I almost hate to admit it, but I had more fun installing the beam than operating
the radio.  Don't hesitate to give me a call if you ever need an extra hand to
hold a guy rope or swap out a feedline!  Have belt, will travel!

Dino - K6RIX