[3830] NAQP SSB K5TR(WM5R) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K5TR(WM5R) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:50:04 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   10     8
   80:   62    27
   40:  116    39
   20:  594    54
   15:    9     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  791   134  Total Score = 105,994

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I didn't really know what I was doing in this contest.  My last
single operator effort in the NAQP was four years ago, when
conditions were quite different.

In retrospect, I'm sure my off-time strategy was suboptimal.
I should have taken at least half of my off time before 0000 UTC,
as I found the rate on 40 and 80 to be better than some of the
hours I spent earlier in the contest on 20, and I probably
could have worked more mults on the low bands if I hadn't had to
take three half hour off times after dark.

I tried and tried to work stations on 15 meters early on, but I
could only get one station to answer a CQ, and nobody I tried to
move there came through.  The stations I did work there were
all S&P on the second radio, including a really cool QSO with a VE1.
I never heard a signal on 10 meters, and never really found a good
local candidate with whom I could run the bands.  I did hear a
JA1 speaking Japanese in a ragchew on 15 meters, but couldn't get
his attention.  I guess the band was really long.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many Europeans called in on
20 meters phone and knew to give me their name.

The 136 hour at the contest start was a lot of fun.

  HOUR  160SSB   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       0       0     134       2     136     136
   19       0       0       0      76       4      80     216
   20       0       0       0      62       3      65     281
   21       0       0       0      29       0      29     310
   22       0       0       0      72       0      72     382
   23       0       0       4      68       0      72     454

    0       0       1       8      84       0      93     547
    1       0       0      19      72       0      91     638
    2       0       4      40       4       0      48     686
    3       3      14      41       0       0      58     744
    4       2      26       1       0       0      29     773
    5       5      19       4       0       0      28     801

  TOTAL    10      64     117     601       9

Top 20 Multipliers Worked Overall:
----------------------------------
   1.           Ca  115
   2.           Oh   43