[3830] CQ160 CW K3STX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3stx@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3STX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:35:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K3STX
Operator(s): K3STX
Station: K3STX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 259  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 4  Total Score = 30,753

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My first real effort in a 160 M contest. Took off a day of work to put up an
inverted L (70 feet vertical, 60 horizontal) and layed down 12 radials (8 were
66 feet and 4 were 32 feet, it's all I had) and hooked radials to chain link
fence around my small suburban lot. I am VERY disappointed with my performance,
especially with NO European DX worked at all. I heard LOTS of loud EU, but on
the first night I called and called and called. Nothing. Even far western USA
was a struggle, and in many cases the freq. was clear but they did not even ask
"K3?". I thought an inverted L was supposed to be a good antenna for 160. I
doubt it was the fact that I only ran 100 watts, cuz' there are many New England
low power stations who make dozens of DX mults and make many hundreds of QSOs. I
will have to re-think this. Forcing XYL to tend to the kids (including an
infant) while daddy plays on the radio to make a measly 4 DX QSOs might not have
been the best political move I have made.

If anyone has ideas of how I can improve things, let me know. It's not that I
could not hear THEM, THEY could not hear ME! All the Beverages in the world
won't help there. Could more radials REALLY make that big a difference?

paul