[3830] ARRL 10 W9RE SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9re@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W9RE SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:29:59 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   CW:  672    98
  SSB:  647    93
-------------------
Total: 1319   191  Total Score = 760,562

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Dougie (DG) tells me I now know what a VHF contest is like!  I think that 50% of
my q's didn't move the S-meter.  The 'question mark' inserted in a call got used
a lot this weekend and enabled a guess at the callsign.  Also getting one letter
of a section (to confirm) usually qualified as a valid q.  On some q's you had
one shot to get the call and if you blew it he/she was gone.  Early on I set a
pattern that if I could not get a single letter after 3 "?" I called cq again.
Thanks for all the repeats and sorry if I wasn't able to pull your signal out.

Had some software problems and had to reboot about 25 times Friday night, maybe
software didn't like 2 radios on the same band.  On Saturday I changed versions
and that seemed to fix the problem (also noticed originally transceiver was in
transceiver mode on by mistake).  Also ran an amp that had faulted (on K9XV who
operated here while I was at PJ2T for the CQWW CW) and had no faults after
cleaning tube current filament sensing contact.

When K4OJ called me I paused and was reminded!

Most unusual qso PY1AHD (Alex) as he said he was walking on the beach at Rio de
Janeiro!

Worked 93 Florida band stations, 36 Europeans (including only 1 SM but several
U's) and 24 Africans.

Sure was easy to find a run frequency wasn't it!  Switching modes to work a new
mult or station was not so hectic because even if you lost your run frequency,
move just a little and have a new one.

Guessing that I worked 70% of the q's beaming SE!

Didn't operate after about 2300z on Saturday night (Christmas Party) and gave up
basically after 2200z on Sunday.

Missed ID, AK, NT, LB, NU, and Yt on both modes.  DC, NB, PE, and Wy on SSB and
UT, on CW.

Congrads to NE4AA, NQ4I (VE7ZO), N4OX, K5TR (WM5R)(wasn't trying to steal your
freq just trying to move the TK), NX5M, N6RO and N4GI for nice scores!