[3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:56:11 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   17     8        9
   20:   38    12       14
   15:   87    14       24
   10:   73    16       30
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was an amazing contest, full of surprises.  Friday afternoon
and evening conditions were rather poor.  When I shut down I had
only about 3500 points.  I thought the weekend would leave me
little to show for my efforts.  Then Saturday morning 10 and 15
meters opened up with decent signals.  My score began to grow,
although slowly.  I ran 5w, so had to work to make myself heard.
I made it to 5K points, and began to have hopes for the weekend.
Then it was 10K and I was starting to feel optimistic.  Pretty
soon 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K.  I shut down at 52K for the night.
Sunday morning conditions were not as good, and there seemed to
be fewer DX stations on the bands.  I still picked up several new
new mults through the day, though.  It was fun watching the score
on my laptop as the day progressed.  55K, 60K, hmmm, maybe I can
squeeze out 65K before the clock runs out.  Still kept finding
new stations to call and work, so by 2300 UTC I was around 65K.
Only an hour to go, gotta keep scratching around in a thinning
sandbox.  Wow, I closed out the contest with just over 70K points,
really making this contest for me.  Comparing to last year, I
worked 3 less zones, 15 more countries and 62 more stations.
My (in)famous WimpyWire antenna farm did its job, blasting my
mighty 5 watts out to the far reaches of the world.  But not the
farthest reaches :-)  I heard some African stations I couldn't
catch.
Now I'm getting ready for the ARRL 160m CW contest next weekend.
Hope to see you all there.
73, Bob N6WG