[3830] CQWW CW NI1N SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tom@klient.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NI1N SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:45:08 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NI1N
Operator(s): NI1N
Station: NI1N

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA

  160:   15     6       11
   80:  169    20       73
   40:  629    34      121
   20:  440    38      125
   15:  387    30      107
   10:  125    23       65
------------------------------

My second CQ WW after being away from the hobby since I was a teenager.

Argggh!  My 90 minute nap that was supposed to be from 4:30am Saturday morning
until 6:00am turned into 6 hours because I didn't hear the alarm.  So, I missed
a good part of the morning EU opening on 10/15/20 Saturday.  I know that cost me
a lot of points, but in spite of that I managed to double my score from last
year.

I guess the recent antenna work paid off.  Its a relatively modest setup (4
element SteppIR at 25m, OptiBeam OB2-40 at 28m, 2 element vertical for 80) but I
was able to break through pileups with the big boys, so I think I've really
learned that there is more to those top ten scores than just stacked aluminum
and steel.  This is the first time I'll be leaving a contest thinking more of
strategic changes to make for the next one rather than just antenna changes.

The first change on my list:  have the antenna work done well in advance...
scrambling around Thursday and Friday to lay out 120 radials under each 80m
vertical just in time for the contest is exhausting and it makes your 90 minute
nap turn into a 6 hour nap!