[3830] EU Sprint CW RW3FO(@RK3AWL) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rw3fo@mail.ru
Subject: [3830] EU Sprint CW RW3FO(@RK3AWL) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:18:56 -0700
                    EU Autumn Sprint, CW

Call: RW3FO
Operator(s): RW3FO
Station: RK3AWL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Moscow

   80:   60    0h45m
   40:   91    1h26m
   20:   96    1h49m
---------------------
Total:  247   Total Score = 247

Station: RK3AWL/RL3A club.
Equipment: FT-1000MP, PA, TR-Log. SO2R interface was built some
years ago but was never used.
Antennas are quads at 30m high:
20m - 4 el to southern EU and 6 el to northern EU, power split.
40m - 4 el to southern EU and 2 el to northern EU, power split.
80m - 2 el to S.EU and 2 el delta @70meters to N.EU, power split.
Details are at www.rk3awl.ru

---
Since I prefer CW, on last Saturday I changed Ruslan,
UA3ASZ, who competed in EUsprint SSB in our club shack.
Ruslan claimed third score in SSB so I had "to win" him
in CW.

Before the autumn EUsprint season the log analysis was made.
I downloaded and printed last years' top five logs from
www.qsl.net/eusprint (thanks to Paolo I2UIY for the very
nice EUsprint homepage), compared 10 minutes rates, moments
of band changes, mistakes, penalties and other stuff. Some
conclusions were made. Andy RV1AW who visited RK3AWL shack
one week ago had seen these paper sheets covered by pencil
marks. So in this year some dedicated preparations were
made for the EUsprint.

---
Hard strike was on 20m. Some stations had very high QSO rate
while I started slower than I did in autumn 2003. A group
of 10 or 15 guys formed and met the end of 1st hour with
nearly the same score, +/- 1 qso. As for me, unlike last
sprints, it was hard to say who was the leader at that
moment (I thought that Dave G4BUO was the leader).

At the end of the 2nd hour only a few leading stations
stayed on 20m. It seemed the last were Gedeminas, LY9A, me and
ES5TV's second radio' CQ. At that moment I heard Dan, LY1DS,
who traditionaly joined the contest at the end of 20m run.
Unfortunately, I did not made a qso with him on 20.

As in 2003, now I have some US calls in my log besides
known EUsprinter Alex, WB2AA. I wonder whether these qsos
are unique so aren't valid again?

As usual, the 40m band was crowded. How this ~20 kHz-wide
strip can retain all EUsprinters? At the end of 40m run I
found that Mike, RK9CWW, who was in the leading group on
20m, bacame far behind me. His qth is damny far from the
center of EUsprint traffic. So, to regret, he lose on
the two low bands although he was loud here both on 40
and 80.

Good propagation was on 80m. I remember some sprint when
I did no one qso with the UK on 80. Now Gs, EAs and Italians
sounded quite loud on that band. In 13 minutes before the
end of contest Ulf, DL5AXX, was in 7 qsos ahead of me :-(.
Nevertheless I knew I jumped later to 80, later then ever.
So at that moment I supposed I'll finish close to Ulf.
But I didn't expected that the score will be the same :-)

---
Congratiulations and thanks to Tonno, es5tv, who shown us
that SO2R techincs really works even in EU sprint. I guess
Tonno will not be alone with tenths of band changes in next
season.

---
Because of contests crossing, I can't work in EUsprint CW
on springs, I'm really sorry. The Russian HF championship
overlays with EUsprint. So, to regret, Russian contesters
forced to choose between the two events. See you friends
on the next Autumn.

P.S. BTW, one may find that top leading EUsprinters operate
from huge and known club shacks. May be it's possible to
invent and introduce some multi/single entry in sprint for
them so others could have a chance to win? -- Just a stupid
thoughts.

73!

--Dmitri (RW3FO)
rw3fo@mail.ru