[3830] CQ WW RTTY K4AQ SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4aq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K4AQ SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:15:37 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: CQZ 5, Atlanta GA
Operating Time (hrs): 20.7

   80:   28   28      13       1     2
   40:   51   62      25       6     7
   20:   96  143      27      20    12
   15:   17   27       5       5     7
   10:    4   12       0       3     2
Total:  196  272      70      35    29  Total Score = 36,448

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/RTTY%20Rules%20200491404.pdf

My third CQ WW DX RTTY contest:

              2004        2003*       2002*
Score        36,448      58,464     108,335
Op Time       20.7        19.9        25.3

QSOs          196         196         250
QSO Pts       272         336         461
St/Prov        70          78         103
DX             35          54          83
CQZones        29          42          49
*WB6BWZ

WAC:            5 of 6 (Africa not heard)
DXCC:          23 (incl KH6 & KL)
WAS:           36 of 50
VE Provinces:   5 of 14

Best DX (and my one and only Asian QSO!):

   260723z JE1ZWT, Japan, 40m, 6828 mi (1366 mi/watt)

I heard and called ZL2AMI/New Zealand several times but he did not come back to
me.

Thanks to NL7G/Alaska (251827z, 20m) for pulling my QRP sig out of a big pile
up.

Every European QSO was a treat. Strange that the weaker EU stns heard my QRP
sigs just fine, usually answering me on my first call, while the stronger sigs
did not recognize me at all (QRZ? or AGN?).

Had a pipeline into Italy whenever I heard them. They also answered on my first
call.

AFRICA was the only continent not heard. I did hear/print US stns working
African stns. I just could not hear them with my wire antenna.

I was surprised having quite a few 80m and 15m QSOs. 10m and 15m were open but
not many stns were heard.

Worked HC8N/Galapagos Island 40-10 meters. Tried them on 80m but 2500 mi is
stretching it a bit for my NVIS antenna even though I worked them on 5 bands
last year. They were a beacon on all bands!

KH7X/Hawaii, whom I worked on 15-40m, moved me to 10m (from 15m) but I could not
hear him there at all, at any time.

80m Summary
-----------
Zones
4   5

Countries

States/Provinces
MA   NJ   NY   PA   NC   SC   TN   VA   OH   IL   IN   CO
MO

40m Summary
-----------
Zones
3   4   5   8   10  25  31

Countries
HC8    JA     K      KH6    KP2    VE

States/Provinces
RI   NJ   NY   MD   PA   GA   NC   SC   VA   MS   NM   TX
CA   AZ   ID   OR   WA   OH   IL   CO   KS   MN   MO   SD
ON

20m Summary
-----------
Zones
1   3   4   5   6   8   9   10  13  14  15  31

Countries
CM     EA     GI     HA     HC8    HI     I      IT9    K      KH6
KL     LU     LX     OK     OM     ON     PA     VE     XE     YV

States/Provinces
CT   MA   NH   RI   PA   LA   NM   OK   TX   CA   AZ   ID
OR   UT   WA   MI   CO   IA   KS   MN   MO   SD   NB   QC
ON   AB   BC

15m Summary
-----------
Zones
3   4   8   10  13  31

Countries
HC8    HI     K      KH6    LU

States/Provinces
NM   CA   AZ   ID   OR

10m Summary
-----------
Zones
10  13

Countries
HC     HC8    LU

States/Provinces
(none)

Yaesu FT-897 transceiver operated at 5 watts into an OCF 28-gauge insulated
stranded wire stealth antenna up 40 feet in heavy foliage trees next to I-75 in
downtown Atlanta industrial area. SGC SG-237 Smartuner. Tigertronics SignaLink
SL-1 sound card radio interface. MicroHAM USB rig interface. WriteLog 10.48f
with Rttyrite.

--Matt, K4AQ (ex-WB6BWZ)