[3830] NA Sprint RTTY VE7FO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY VE7FO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 02:22:23 -0800
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

   80:    0    0:10
   40:   52    1:40
   20:   80    2:10
---------------------

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Well, that was an incestuous little affair.

Did a bunch of propagation predictions so I could decide which band to be on
when.  They said sigs from all over US with SNR of 20 to 30 dB.  Not all at the
same time or on the same band, of course.  Didn't take long to chuck the band
plan.  Continuous noise S7-9 on 20 and 40.  Only 2 or 3 sigs heard on 80, which
I checked fairly frequently.  They didn't hear me.

The plan was to open on 40 to pick up the nearby W7s before the path closed and
then move to 20.  No sigs on 40 at the opening so went to 20.

Took a little while to get into the rhythm so rate was pretty poor at first.
After a while I managed to get it up to mediocre.

Worked 20 as hard as I could with occasional fruitless forays to 40.  After a
while, most moved to 40 leaving slim pickings on 20.  I tend to drop down to the
next band late because no one can hear me on the next band if I get there too
early.

Towards the end it got quite a bit harder to work anyone, other than K6LL of
course.  I thought there must have been a flare but, when I checked later, there
wasn't.

A number of people seemed to just vanish after I sent my exchange.  No TU or QSY
or anything.  Did they get the exchange or didn't they?  I sent QSL?? to a
number of people with no response.  I put them in the log, assuming they got it
and were in a hurry to move along.  On reflection, I think that was a mistake.
Did anyone else experience this?

I had the feeling that there was hardly anyone on.  I might have felt
differently if I hadn't had the high noise level, though.

In past Sprints I haven't had much success with people calling me when the freq
became mine.  That was less of a problem this time.  Similarly, I got answers to
many of my CQs.

VE7 shouldn't have been a problem for anyone.  Worked VE7HBS a number of times
and heard VA7ST now and then but wasn't able to work him.

Compared to last year - more Qs, fewer mults, lower score.  Still, a lot better
than the total score of 252 which won VE7 in Mar 2001.

Instead of the usual Jim I signed OJ in memory of K4OJ.  I'll be doing this for
a year.  Ran into one other doing the same.

INCEST TALLY

# of
 Qs    Stations

7      K6LL, K5AM
6      K0RFD W0ETC
5      K7WM
4      AA5AU K6OWL K7SV N0KE VE6YR VE7HBS W5AC W6FFH WA6BOB
3      9 stations
2      7 stations
1      24 stations

73 and thanks for the Qs de Jim Smith   VE7FO