Re: [3830] ARRL DX CW VY2LZ/VY2ZM - The Agony & the Ecstasy...( VeryLONG

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [3830] ARRL DX CW VY2LZ/VY2ZM - The Agony & the Ecstasy...( VeryLONG)
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:25:23 -0500
Hi Jeff,

        Wow!  I'd say you are lucky to be alive!  I'll
probably NOT show this to Charlanne in case she
wants to come up for the CQ 160 someday!

        YI9ZF was on 160 last night beginning about
02z, but I don't think he worked a single NA.  We
had terrible QRN, but I could hear him in there around
0200 and again around 0300.  For some reason he
QRT around 0310 just as his signal was beginning to
build.  I thought about calling you but figured you
were still in PEI.  Hope I didn't goof, but I don't think
you would have worked him.  Can you believe it, I
got his card today exactly 12 days after working him.
After major problems getting my JT1CO and ST0RY
cards, this was a welcome breath of fresh air!

        UK9AA was on again last night and 459 thru
the QRN at his sunrise after 02z.  W8JI, W3BGN and
myself were all calling but he was totally deaf...even
though other EU told him NA was calling.  BTW, Alex
LY3UM said W8JI was 599 when I was 569.  I can
explain 5 db due to Tom's 4-square, but 15+ dB???
At any rate, if UK9AA did not hear Tom, he certainly
will not hear me, unless we get one of those strange
spotlight openings like we had for YI9ZF.

        Glad you made it back OK and hope you can
catch Kas before you leave again!  You must truly be
nuts to be willing to go through that again!  :-))

73, Bill