[3830] CQWW SSB VO1AU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1au@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VO1AU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:33:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VO1AU
Operator(s): VO1AU
Station: VO1AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: near St John's NL

  160:    2     2        1
   80:  196    13       57
   40:  136    18       60
   20: 1387    31      110
   15: 1561    27      105
   10:  768    20       92
------------------------------

This was my first contest operation from my new location.

First, congratulations to VY2ZM and VE2IM for their superb scores.  I hope to
narrow the gap or mix up the finishing order in future contests.  I'm just
starting to learn how different propagation is here compared to my old location
in western VE2.

I fault myself for a few things: I spent too much time chasing mults too early
to too little success and did not run quite as much as I should have done.  I
also took more sleep than I intended and planned it incorrectly (not at all, in
truth - it just happened).  I did have a second rig going, but only used it to
check for openings on other bands.  I'll be fully SO2R soon.

Like others, I found the low bands tougher than normal the first night.  But
once the sun came up Saturday, the high bands were great.  I really wasn't
expecting 10m to be so good Saturday.  Both 15 and 20m were great Sunday.

When I did run, I concentrated on running EU, and only really sought to run the
US late Sunday to make sure I broke 4,000 QSOs.  Consequently, my points/QSO
(2.76) is the highest I've ever had.  Fat lot of good that does with only
mediocre multiplier totals, eh?

Forty metres was, as always, a terribly frustrating place to operate, with the
Europeans cheek-by-jowl and closer, making it impossible or unwise to attempt to
find a running frequency.  CQ WW SSB 2007 should be somewhat better.

On 80, I missed the mark by sleeping at the wrong time, but 160!  I clearly have
a problem somewhere - I couldn't even work a single Yank!

Here's my line-up:
Antennas:
10/15/20: KT34A at 17m, ground-mounted verticals
40: 3el bobtail curtain favouring EU and W
80: wire vertical with one elevated radial
160: 17m inverted L with one elevated radial
Rigs: Kenwood TS-950SD, TS-850SAT (used only for receiving)
Amp: Kenwood TL-922

Thanks to fellow contesters Gus VO1MP and Wayne VO1TA for all their help getting
my new station together.

73,

Dave VO1AU (ex-VE2ZP)