[3830] SCC RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SCC RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 06:04:06 -0700
                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   50   118    28
   40:  134   343    48
   20:  264   703    57
   15:  153   431    53
   10:    2     4     2
-------------------------
Total:  603  1599   188  Total Score = 300,612

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

G5MS has the earliest year in my log, 1911.
Thanks to the Slovenia Contest Club for sponsoring the Contest.  Very
interesting exchange format, year first licensed.  Only called OT once in the
Contest.
Propagation okay for this point in the Sun spot cycle and from the propagation
forecasts read before the Contest.  However, the thunderstorm that came through
around 1900Z was not part of the propagation forecast.  Disconnected the ant.
and other control cables when the thunder started and remained disconnected for
approx. two hours.  Prior to disconnecting the ant., the QRN just kept rising
causing the noise level on 20 to get to where the Beverages had to be used.  I'm
sure several stations thought I was using a crystal set due to all my requests
for repeats just prior to the storm.  It was impressive on how patient and
helpful you all were in coming back to my multiple repeat for info.  This
Contest uses a simple message format, would have been much worse during the WAE!

After the storm, the damage was the 40 meter antenna's SWR would erratically
jump back and forth from 1.5 to 1 to 2.2 to 1 on same freq.  Also, the Northeast
dipole in the 80 meter array opened.  (The SE dipole was found to be best for
xmitting to Europe.) Planned on pulling the beams down this fall for preventive
maintenance, but now looks like it will be corrective maintenance.
Thanks to all the stations kind enough to work me and thanks to the many
stations that were patient and kept coming back to my multiple requests for
repeats.