[3830] WVQP K8MR/M MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WVQP K8MR/M MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:49:59 -0700
                    West Virginia QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR,W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/M

Class: MobileMixed LP
QTH: 12 Counties

   80:    0      0
   40:  144     94
   20:   81      1
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  225     95  Mults = 49  Total Score = 28,005

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The score includes 900 bonus points for activating counties, and 400 points for
W8WVA qsos.  Multipliers include 30 states/provinces, 12 counties, and 7 DXCC
countries.

In our many drives around OH, MI, and PA, designated driver W8DRZ & I have joked
about sometime taking his two seat Honda del Sol 2 instead of my minivan.  We
were seriously considering doing this until we discovered that the WVQP was the
same weekend as the ARRL June VHF QSO Party.  So we decided to drive the minivan
again and do both contests.

The WVQP was no OQP, MiQP, PaQP, etc.  The relatively low activity level made
for generally slow conditions, though there were a few promising periods in the
late afternoon.  Driving along the Ohio River for much of it, with the road
scrunched up against the hills to the east, didn't help either. In three
counties (Hancock, Brooke, and Wetzel) we did not even make the 15 qsos needed
for the mobile bonus points.

Anyway, we did manage to pass out some qsos from some out of the way counties,
and did make some VHF qsos from our two stops in Wirt and Mason counties.

Funniest event:  along a rare straight stretch of empty highway in Mason county,
we noticed some animals in the road up ahead of us.  We slowed down, and saw
that there were two chickens in the road.  We stopped, rolled down the window,
and asked why they were crossing the road.  Alas, they did not respond, and so
the mystery continues.

See you all, in WV or elsewhere, in the Ohio QSO Party, on Saturday, August
23.

73 -  Jim  K8MR