[3830] WPX SSB LZ9W M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB LZ9W M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:49:51 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: LZ9W
Operator(s): LZ1ZD, LZ1ANA, LZ1UQ, LZ2CJ, LZ2HM, LZ2JE, LZ2PO, LZ2UU,LZ3FN,LZ3CQ
Station: LZ9W

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Breznik nr Sofia
Operating Time (hrs):

   40: 1296
   20: 1727
   15: 1253

Club: LZ Contest Group

Comments:

First time ever a M/M operation from LZ9W. Contest team started two years ago
with single radio and one TL922.Thanks mainly to great efforts of Krassy LZ1ZD
plus these of other team members after two years we ended with decent multi
multi set up. Through this period LZ1ZD and Alex LZ4AX ( now operating from K3CR
) have built WA3FET 6L yagies for 20,15 and 7L for10m plus HB9CV for 40m. Before
last year CQWW we built 2 phased Inv.Vees for 80m plus an Inv.Vee for 160m. We
were not able to build on time TX-RX BPFs so we have chosen to use 3 IC 735 with
RX BPF filters ( THANKS to Andy LZ2HM for a hard work to build them on time
despite his other commitments at work). There was no time to build even RX
filters for 160m and 20m so we went without such filters on these bands.
Fortunately IC 735 on 160m and mine IC746 on 20m survived without any damages.
We had no voice keys at 3 places and only one at 20m operating place, so CQ
noise in a single room (24 sq m) was quite high and we eventually lost another
300 or so QSOs because of the "CQ" QRM caused by operators themselves :-)))).
For next contest we will fix this - this time there was no time and funds for
this. So equipment set up was :
IC 735 + TL 922 - 160m / 10m (tnx LZ2UU and LZ1ZD)
IC 735 + Alpha 91b - 80m / 15m (tnx LZ2HM and LZ1HD)
IC735 + Alpha 91b - 40m (tnx LZ2PO and LZ1JK)
IC746 + ACOM 2000A - 20m (tnx LZ2CJ)
>From all 4 radios only IC746 has SSB filters. All IC735 have no additional SSB
filters installed. This has made operation especially on 40m a torture which I
and Danny LZ2UU (LZ0A) have successfuly passed through :-(((.
However Murphy was there and conditions in this WPX were awfull, but we still
had fun. Until first sunrise we had abt 37 QSO on 20m and only abt 200 on 40m.
Calling on 160m with TL922 and Inv.Vee was not so big experience but we kept
going and finally taking upon consideration poor condx we would say we did
well.
Special THANKS to technical support guys - Vesko LZ1HD,Vesko LZ5VK and ANDY
LZ2HM for keeping things running without big problems. K1EA CT have caused some
problems with numbering and Andy LZ2HM has had some difficult periods, but
solved the problems fast and efficiently.

So, THANKS everyone for calling us and look for LZ9W in WPX CW in May on all 6
bands again.
Soon the web site will be placed on qsl.net with lot of photoes and an article
about this operation will appear in NCJ until the end of 2003.

73's de Wally LZ2CJ ( LZ8T) one of LZ9W contest team