[3830] NA Sprint RTTY K5NZ HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY K5NZ HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:31:20 -0800
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: K5NZ
Operator(s): K5NZ
Station: K5NZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

An all afternoon crawfish boil /beer bash had me home about 5 mins after the
contest started.  I thought ?a sprint with a buzz? not a good idea?.but it?s
RTTY should be able to handle it?  Got things turned on and heard lots of
activity!  Many calls from the real sprint (CW) were out  in force.  Had a nice
dog fight catching up with K6LL and then we went to 40 and the old  slopper just
wouldn?t hold its own and away he pulled.  Other standouts were K4RO, K7SV, and
OE5JKL on 40!.

Observations:

If you love this mode and you are not doing SO2R, get with it!  I found myself
with so much  time on my hands I talked to my Dad on the phone for 30 minutes
during the contest.  SO2R  with the right hardware and software would be a piece
of cake!  Look at AA5AU?s score and
you can see what it does!  Seems like every hour I worked Don he was another 12
ahead ( Great Job Don! ).  An extra 10-20 Q?s an hour should be no problem SO2R
and it won?t drive you mad as in CW or SSB.  Maybe someday I?ll  be motivated to
invest in extra hardware for this mode.

People?QSY means move to another freq for your next QSO!  I personally heard
eight different calls, not to be mentioned here, finish and need to QSY only to
have them call me after I worked the guy they left and with just 1 number higher
than last given.  This is a ?round robin? and  NOT allowed!

I?m very sorry I QRM?ed some folks but when I hear you give your callsign last
and can?t hear the other side of your QSO I have to believe your getting the
freq.  Very simple, program two exchanges in your software..

(His Call)  (Your Call)  # Name SPC   ( Your going to be QSY?ing)

(His Call)  #  Name SPC  (Your Call)    ( Your getting the freq )

Simple Stuff  that lets everyone know what is about to happen.

Hard to decide when to move bands since you can QSO again after 3.. I used my
usual Sprint rules and think 20 was still hot when I left.  That is where SO2R
would help you shine in this contest.

Great fun way to spend 4 hours! Now you RTTY only guys.. it?s your turn to give
us some Q?s in the next CW sprint!  It?s only fair!

STN: FT1000MP w/ Kam + and WF1B,   200wts  Tribander and sloppers for 40/80.

73 nz
k5nz@arrl.net