[3830] NAQP RTTY VE7ASK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY VE7ASK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:53:02 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

  160:    0     0
   80:   33    16
   40:   46    24
   20:   80    33
   15:   30    13
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  191    87  Total Score = 16,617

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Gear:
=====
2-element hexagonal beam (10,12,15,17,20) on a pole at 27'
G5RV (102') at 29' between the backyard maples
FT920 running just shy of 100W
G5RV feedline tensioner (Model: "Tippy", Bouvier x Border Collie)

Thanks to VE7FO for asking if I'd be playing in this one. I had forgotten there
was a Feb. running till he mentioned it in an e-mail following last weekend's
ARRL DX CW contest.

Looked forward to this contest all week once I knew it was on the sked, but saw
propagation reports get worse following what I considered a super ARRL DX last
weekend (considering SSNs).

I knew things would be hard on 10M, but they were horrible from here -- only two
stations worked (thanks Mike KH6ND and Wiz AH6OZ).

80M was pretty tough, too, with S7 noise here. 40M was fun to work, as the G5RV
likes it up around 7080, rather than down in the 7030s. I thought 20M was in
great shape for domestic contacts. 15M was in pretty good shape although I
didn't hear as much activity there as on 20M.

Took a half-hour break after only an hour and a half, depressed by conditions on
10 and 15, but came back to find 15 building nicely.

Took a long break (1:30) around 4 p.m. Pacific to watch America's Cup sailing on
ESPN -- alas, the third postponement for race 4 had me watching reruns of
earlier races. Go Kiwis (have to cheer for the home team, getting their clocks
cleaned or not).

Surprises in this one:
======================
Being called by Choi HL5FUA on 20M (never have much luck into S. Korea) while I
was working the east coast.

Working ZF2NT -- nice to see ZF on a couple of bands.

Being called by 7l4IOU on 20M at 11:30 a.m. here (not supposed to hear JAs at
that time, hi).

Hunting without success for KH6ND and AH6OZ on 40 and 80, then being called by
AH6HH on 40M -- got HI there, but missed the possible five-banders.

Best names: Gotta be Wiz -- from the Hawaiian land of Oz (AH6OZ). Then there's
Mork (K6UFO). I didn't meet any other "Bud", so I can vote for that this time
out.

Thanks for the contacts everyone. I was a fun day.

73,
Bud, VE7ASK