[3830] ARRLDX CW N6IG(@W6GO) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6ig@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6IG(@W6GO) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:09:07 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6IG
Operator(s): N6IG
Station: W6GO

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: SV

   15:  933    99
Total:  933    99  Total Score = 277,101

This was to have been a cakewalk for the W6 record set by N5KO (then WN4KKN) in
1991.  The timing seemed right...12 years after the last record, the downward
side of the cycle, lots of activity in Europe, decent flux lately for 15...

Got off to a decent start, almost 350 QSOs by 04Z, including several HS's and
XV2J calling in not in the contest.  But virtually nothing from the South
Pacific but a ZL and a KH6.  And of course KH2 has been blown away lately...I
kept waiting for the UN/EX/EY stations to call in as they should about 04Z, but
nothing.  I did snag JT1CO when he did a band change for someone else.  Oh well,
the next day will be great.

Got up at 5AM local (13Z) and tuned the band...dead.  Started hearing Carribean
about 1330Z, then heard first Europe at just after 14Z over the South Atlantic
(130 degrees).  That is normal to start there, then jump to direct path shortly
thereafter...but it stayed at 130 degrees all day!  No answers to CQs, just S&P
for multipliers.  Got a decent number of countries but tough going.  So much for
the record...

Good JA run Saturday evening, but once again the door slammed shut on
propagation at 04Z, and no deep Asia or any more South Pacific save for several
VKs and some more ZLs.  This wasn't looking good.

Sunday started the same, dead until 1330Z, then Carribean and guys like 9A1A and
HG6N coming in at 130 degrees.  But then it did the normal thing and shifted to
direct path and things started hopping.  No answers to CQs at first, but then
15Z and 16Z hours were very productive.  Had best hour of contest into Europe at
16Z about 140 QSOs.  But things started slowing down...band started going
out...kept tuning second receiver on FT1000 looking for mults, QSOs,
anything...

Found the usual Sunday afternoon warzone pileups on guys like HR5/F2JD, LZ0A,
the 5N0, etc.  Got though but some took a lot of time...but there was nothing
else to do.  Last few hours into JA were extremely slow, probably 60-70% of
stations calling in were dupes.  Had something like 7 QSOs in the last hour,
with no QSOs in the last 20 minutes despite lots of calling.

Many many dupes, and lots and lots of 5 watt (and frequently strong) Eu
stations.  Great job, guys!

Congrats to K4BAI, KR2Q and K4OAQ for nice scores.  My mults are in the right
league, just needed more QSOs.

Thanks again to W6GO and K6HHD for the hospitality and letting me invade their
living room again.  At least I got two good nights' sleep!