[3830] ARRL 10 WN3VAW SO Mixed LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WN3VAW SO Mixed LP
From: wn3vaw@arrl.net (wn3vaw@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:48:09 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WN3VAW
Operator(s): WN3VAW
Station: WN3VAW

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Pittsburgh, PA
Operating Time (hrs): ~16

   CW:  145    67
  SSB:  280    87
-------------------
Total:  425   154  Total Score = 176,176

Club: Wireless Association of South Hills

Comments:

Best personal score I have ever done in the 10 Meter contest; decided to make a
real effort after what happened 2 years ago, and especially after missing the
'test last year due to a family trip.

Score could still have been better, but I had to work around several trips on
Saturday, Christmas Lights on Sunday, and the usual distractions.  To say
nothing of having half an ear on the Pittsburgh Steeler's game on Sunday
afternoon! <g>

I once wondered how so many hams became less active as their families started...
not that I didn't recognize the phenomenom, but I just hadn't had first hand
experience at it.  Now I understand!  It can sometimes be a real effort to stay
on the air at all... but I'm lucky, my wife doesn't completely understand, but
she puts up with it!

Biggest plus:  Maybe it's just me, but I do get a kick out of being recognized
on the air during a pileup.  Though I did have to wonder about the CA station
who told me I was the "bad boy of the reflectors" -- I hope he meant that in a
good way!

Biggest minus:  ZD8Z quit CW on Sunday afternoon just as I was calling him --
them's the breaks sometimes, oh well.  Was really hoping to work some AS
stations in the early evening, especially 9V, HS, and other entities I need for
DXCC, but no soap.  And as always, there were a few who simply couldn't believe
my call sign (even after almost 30 years!) and either busted it in their logs
(dropped or changed a letter) or made some remarks about my being an intruder.
But, as they say, that's their problem.

All in all, though, a fun time, and with a little effort, not bad for a TS-140,
a roof top vertical, and a horrible voice due to a cold and a stuffed up nose!

Had a blast, can't wait for next year!

73, ron wn3vaw