[3830] CQWW CW WN3VAW SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WN3VAW SOAB LP
From: wn3vaw@arrl.net (wn3vaw@arrl.net)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:09:36 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WN3VAW
Operator(s): WN3VAW
Station: WN3VAW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Pittsburgh, PA

  160:   0      0        0
   80:  20     10       13
   40:   4      3        4
   20:   4      2        4
   15:   2      2        2
   10:   3      3        3
------------------------------
Total:  33     20       26  Total Score = 4,048

Club: Wireless Association of South Hills

Comments:

This one may yet get submitted as a check log.  I had originally planned on
having most of Saturday free for operating (since most of Sunday was otherwise
occupied), but an early morning phone call sent me on an emergency service trip,
and work has to come first.

However, I am not unhappy with this score!  Just prior to the contest I needed
only 20 more entities worked/confirmed to complet 80 M DXCC, which also
completes my last band for 5BDXCC.  Between a few station's pre-contest "warm
ups" and what little time I did have, I've knocked that down by half.  Could
have gotten more, but my linear is not performing well on the low end of 80
meters (another service call took the time that that repair was set aside for,
oh well) so I did without it.  Still plenty of operating time left this winter
though!

Biggest disappointment:  Worked XT2DX on 40 - 10, but he just couldn't pull me
out on 80, where I really wanted/needed him.  Oh well.

Most fun:  CY0MM was a piece of cake -- on 12, 40 and 75 phone since most people
were looking for them on CW!  One call each.  Also, I realized near the end of
the contest (when I had a little more time to operate) that I was missing HC8N
only on 40 meters, so I went hunting for them for the "HF Sweep."  Maybe by next
year I'll have something working on 160 and can make it a 6 band sweep...

73, ron wn3vaw