[3830] SS SSB K1EP(@K1VR) Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K1EP(@K1VR) Single Op LP
From: k1ep@arrl.net (k1ep@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:04:31 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1EP
Operator(s): K1EP
Station: K1VR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA

  160: 000000
   80:    236
   40:    113
   20:    137
   15:    276
   10:    117
-------------
Total:    879  Sections = 80  Total Score = 140,640

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

As I was getting set up in the last couple of hours, I discovered a problem with
the SO2R setup and resigned to do SO1R.  I started off on 10M, after all, "there
is no meters like 10 meters".  Unfortunately, I couldn't get something going.
But I did manage find VY1JA in that first hour on 10M, which has never happened
to me before.  I didn't work him til much later, but left one of the VFO's on
the pileup, going back there every once in a while.  I spent more time looking
for WTX, NV, SC or SK than I did for J!  I stayed on 10 too long, just so I
could hop back to the pileup easily and work J. Speaking of pileups, I only
heard one KL7 station on, and of course there was a pileup there too.  It was my
last mult, so I decided to stick around.  Unlike J, they had a difficult time
handling the pileup at first.

I couldn't get a run going until I found 15M.  In retrospect, it seems like it
was easy to get one going there and I should have stayed there longer.  As far
as the lack of Q's on Sunday, I found a number of stations Sunday afternoon and
evening that had relatively low numbers, meaning that they had just got on.
There was plenty of fresh stations to work if you went out to find them.   I was
also amazed at the number of QRP stations out there that were calling CQ and
holding their frequencies.