[3830] CQWW SSB D44TD(IV3TAN) SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB D44TD(IV3TAN) SOAB LP
From: a.annesi@libero.it (a.annesi@libero.it)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:37:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: D44TD
Operator(s): IV3TAN
Station: D44TD

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Cape Verde
Operating Time (hrs): 40
Radios: SO2R

  160:   14     8       10
   80:  139    14       58
   40:  256    19       75
   20: 1446    34      113
   15: 1014    31      125
   10: 3332    34      130
------------------------------

The first idea was to partecipate in SOAB HP entry but in the last three days
before the contest i had a great problem with my health. I lived all 3 days in
the "B & B room" (Bathroom and Bedroom). During Friday night (before the
contest) i woke up at 3 a.m with a strong pain stomach and never sleep again
till the start of the contest. At that point was clear to me that my
partecipation in the "iron man" category was compromised.
In the last few minutes i disconnected all unnecessary equipement and the
contest started.
The stretegy for the SOAB LP (in my opinion) was more easy to me.
During the first day i spent a lot of hours working multipliers (what a hard job
with 100W) and so in this way i could get rest. I wasn't be able to work the
usual hard D4 pile-up.
During the second day the stategy has been opposite. Great hours of hard
pile-up. From 17.00 to 18.00 UTC on 28 i reached 340 qso/h. In the last 8 hours
never logged less than 200/250 qso/h.
What a great experience!
Unfortunately i have been able to operate for only 40 hours. I spent the other 8
hours in the "B & B rooms".

Working conditions:

Force 12 C19XR @ 60ft pointed to USA
Force 12 C3 @ 50ft fixed to EU
Force 12 C4XL @ 70ft (connected to multipliers Radio)
Titanex C160E (for 80 and 160)
Beverages in EU and USA directions.

RTX 2x ICOM 756 PRO

Many thanks to  Silvio IV3TRK and Xara D44TD for the strong support.

73 de IV3TAN
Alberto