[3830] CQWW SSB MW5HOC SOSB/40 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB MW5HOC SOSB/40 LP
From: mw5hoc@qsl.net (mw5hoc@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:31:27 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: MW5HOC
Operator(s): MW5HOC
Station: MW5HOC

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: WALES

   40:  137    11       45
------------------------------

My second attempt at CQWW. I enjoyed last year so much, there was no way I was
going to miss it this year. I built myself a nice new 40M dipole, erected it at
twice the height (25 feet) that last years antenna was situated. I even had a
different rig, My old FT-101-E replaced by an FT-900.
  I don't know about the rest of you but I found this year very difficult.
Getting out above the congestion seemed impossible. And picking stations out of
the congestion was even worse.
  It was a stuggle, but although it didn't achieve a high Q rate, I was getting
a nice quantity of multipliers. As seems the norm in CQWW, it was great to be
able to work places that you couldn't work on a normal day.
  Kept plodding along until 03:00 Sunday morning, when sleep got the better of
me. I woke at 07:00 to the news that my nice new antenna was laying across my
neighbours' gardens!!
  Gales continued across South Wales and due to this, repairs were out of the
question.
  Dissapointed I gave up and closed down the log. All day Sunday missed. Never
mind there's always next year.

Overall, very hard work, often too hard, extremely noisy, but I wouldn't miss it
for the world.