[3830] NA Sprint RTTY VE7ASK LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY VE7ASK LP
From: ve7ask@rac.ca (ve7ask@rac.ca)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 23:15:44 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

   80:   5     0.25
   40:  44     1.75
   20:  46     2.00
---------------------
Total:  95     Mults = 22  Total Score = 2,090

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Rig and Antenna:
-- FT-920 (about 90 watts out for RTTY)
-- G5RV at 30 ft.

What a great time! Took 20 minutes or so to get into the swing of things -- the
QSY rule and catching the tail-end station takes some getting used to.

Worked most stations I heard, and had few repeats, so conditions were OK but
certainly not great. Didn't seem like many stations active -- or maybe I just
wasn't hearing them. Only worked 20 states, plus Ontario and Alberta (Bob,
VE6YR, always has a big signal over the Rockies into BC). Did year Laura in New
York but could never quite catch her. Also heard Wyoming in there once, but he
quickly went, as one of my new RTTY Sprint friends put it, "adios" with the
QSY.

Thank goodness for the RTTY work-'em-over-and-over rule or it would have been a
lot tougher to find QSOs. Worked Barry, Larry and Garry lots, hi hi. Thanks
fellas.

My first RTTY Sprint... expected to make 50 contacts. About half way through, I
thought I might make 100 Qs with 40M and 80M still to go. 40M was good but 80M
only offered up five contacts when I thought I'd get 20 or more there near the
end. Only spent 15 minutes on 80 before bouncing back up to 40 to continue
leapfrogging.

It was a frantic four hours -- and every few minutes I caught myself thinking
how much fun I was having. Those are the moments I love most about contesting
and this one provided a lot of them.

73,
Bud, VE7ASK