[3830] AD5Q - CQWW CW - SOAB HP Assisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] AD5Q - CQWW CW - SOAB HP Assisted
From: ids@nol.net (R.S.Hradilek)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:21:50 -0600
                     2001 CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST

Call used: AD5Q                                           Location: 04

Category: Single Op Assisted        Mode: CW              Power: 1500

Callsign of Operator(s): AD5Q

Hours of Operation: 37:48

band    QSOs   points    zones     ctys

160       14       23        8       11
  80       59      145       17       42
  40      245      675       28       81
  20      382      970       29       89
  15      427     1180       31       85
  10      485     1363       26       87

TOTAL   1612     4356      139      395         SCORE: 2,326,104

Club or Team Name: TeamCramp.Com

Comments: I almost threw in the towel on this one when the bands
failed to open on Saturday morning.

My goal for this contest was 2000 Q's, which I felt I could do
because of SO2R improvements since a year ago.

I put in a full effort the first night without a break. I couldn't
run anything on 40 to either EU or JA, but did have a good JA run
on 20. 80 was awful, with static crashes from nearby storms on top
of the weak sigs from EU. The pileups weren't much fun, due to
EXTREMELY impatient operating manners on the part of many well
knowm multi-op calls. Do these station owners know how their calls
are being trashed? One station in particular was by far the worst
offender, but I won't name it here.

Saturday morning started with some really nice signals on 40 long
path. I wanted to move a Zone 18 to 80, since the one I worked 10
years ago never QSL'ed. 10 usually opens promptly at sunrise, but
not on this day. Arrrghhh! Everything came to a screeching halt and
I began thinking of other things to do with my weekend.

So I took a long nap starting at 1600z. 6 hours later the bands were
alive! I don't know when they opened, or how much I missed - but
started running JA's on 15. It was a good run.

Second night: still no good EU runs on either 20 or 40, and 80 sucked
even without the static crashes of the first night. I didn't expect
many new mults on low bands, so took another long nap (5 hours) and
got up 2 hours before sunrise to check 40 for a JA run. At this point
I was still only half serious about finishing the contest. The JA's
didn't start running until an hour before sunrise. The antenna is
a C4XL.

So it's Sunday morning, and I still don't have 100 Q's on 10. That is
where I spent the morning, while snagging SO2R mults on 15. Still, 10
was hotter last year. Kept rates fairly decent through to the end,
and somehow finished the contest only a dozen Q's short of last year
(but also down by 40 mults and 300k points).

Considering conditions, and the amount of off time I took, am very
satisfied.

Station description (mostly tri-bander's) is at...

http://www.qth.com/ad5q/faq.htm

q...